PDA

View Full Version : STP products ?

ACCORD EX
05-19-2002, 12:15 AM
has any one tried STP prducts before ( fuel injector gas treatment and others ? ) do they really work or it 's bullshit !

:)

MIKE

DBMaster
05-21-2002, 07:06 AM
You don't need any of that crap, waste of money.

HostileJava
05-21-2002, 06:35 PM
I put some of there fuel injector cleaner in my car about two tanks after I bought it and noticed a substantial difference in acceleration.

accordlx
05-21-2002, 07:36 PM
It really depends on the quality of the gasoline you put in your car. Many brand name gasolines already have fuel system additives in them such as Sunoco and BP if you have these in brands in your area. Others that you buy from "mom & pop" stations have absolutely none. Some brands of gas are obviously not as good for your car as others. I run a bottle of some sort of fuel injector/carb cleaner thru my engine every time I change the oil just for good measure. I also spray a litte carb cleaner in the carb at the same time.

I use the stuff and I endorse the stuff as far as using it to clean your fuel system.

I DO NOT endorse the use of ANY TYPE of oil additive or any type of motor oil that contains PTFE or Zinc as an additive!!!

I do not endorse or reccommend the following engine treatments.
Anything with PTFE in it. Any oil additive with Zinc in it. These include oil additives such as Motor UP, Slick 50, STP Engine Treatment with XEP-2, Mystery Oil Treatment (or whatever it's called), Rislone Oil Treatment, or Motor Honey.

These products do absolutley nothing to improve the performance of a properly tuned motor and in many cases will cause engine damage.

PTFE by any other name is Teflon. When added to oil, PTFE is a suspension within a liquid. (That is why many of these products reccommend you to shake before using. The particles settle to the bottom of the container.) PTFE is said to bond to engine surfaces but in fact collects in parts of the motor such as the oil passages. It also collects in your oil filter and can cause low engine oil pressure. Oil filters are designed to filter the crap out of your oil. Unless the PTFE particles are scientifically engineered to be smaller than the oil filter filtration level, they will do nothing other than clog your filter and drain your wallet.

ACCORD EX
05-22-2002, 06:56 AM
thnx CHRIS for this great reply ! :super: :D

MIKE

88WhiteLX-i
05-22-2002, 10:49 AM
Iam not sure who made Teflon, but whoever it was actually filed a law suit against people who were putting out products with teflon, to put into engines. The people that invented teflon found out that it actually willl harm an internal combustion engine and did not want their product associated with it. But after the court bull shit, the companies won and every asshole who adds teflon to their oil additive say it will "DRaMAtiCALLy" improve engine life and everything else, when there were already studies showing that it will harm your engine. So be careful into what you put into your engine.....:werd:

TeKKnoTeKK
05-22-2002, 11:12 AM
I use Duralube as an oil additive and I have been happy with it, everytime I buy it I wonder if it is worth the 12$ tho. Who knows lol.

accordlx
05-22-2002, 06:32 PM
88WhiteLX-i, the answer to your question was DuPont.

Tekkno, the answer to your question is no unless it contains some kind of magic lubricant not yet known to man. It contains no PTFE (teflon) but they will not tell us what is in it. They give opinions from customers but do not actually tell us what the ingredients of their product really is.

charlesb2003
07-13-2003, 10:00 AM
i changed my oil the other day... i used to use Castrol Syntec for high mileage engines 10w30 and i decided to go with Mobil 1 10w30 and a quart of DuraLube. I noticed a difference as soon as i started the car. it used to have a little valve clatter, but not anymore. it also idles smoother, it doesn't vibrate near as much at a stoplight now. It even feels a little stronger accelerating, and it's definately quieter.

guaynabo89
07-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Last post on this thread dated 5-22-02

Today is 7-13-03.

That makes this thread more than a year old and the original question was probably answered over a year ago.

1988starter
07-13-2003, 04:01 PM
Well It may be old but I use lucas engine treatment and it works wonderfully 1 quart with 3 quarts moble 1 so much smoother idle

charlesb2003
07-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Lucas makes some good stuff. my transmission was shifting rough and i changed the fluid with Mobil 1 ATF and put a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix in it... shifts a lot smoother now.

1988starter
07-13-2003, 05:31 PM
I also use lucas in my tranny helped a lot with the worn syncros.

Osiris
07-13-2003, 09:47 PM
I was told by a certified mechanic (a friend that i trust also) that most oils are the same. Im no big engine guy or nothing but can someone provide some proof against this theory.

88 Accord DX
07-13-2003, 09:55 PM
i have some slick 50 sitting in the garage. i was gonna use it tomorrow but im a little scared now. should i still use it?

charlesb2003
07-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by accordlx
I do not endorse or reccommend the following engine treatments.
Anything with PTFE in it. Any oil additive with Zinc in it. These include oil additives such as Motor UP, Slick 50, STP Engine Treatment with XEP-2, Mystery Oil Treatment (or whatever it's called), Rislone Oil Treatment, or Motor Honey.

These products do absolutley nothing to improve the performance of a properly tuned motor and in many cases will cause engine damage.

so on the Slick 50... i wouldn't. get some DuraLube or Lucas... those don't have PTFE or any other solid particles. as far as gas treatment, i don't use anything. i run Chevron 93 octane with Techron so i shouldn't need to...

NXRacer
07-14-2003, 02:28 PM
i swear by chevron gas. It makes my car run the best of any gas around.

As for Slick 50, i'd suggest it for older motors. My dad has a 76 suburban with a 454 in it and i think slick 50 has saved it many a time. My dad isnt the best when it comes to vehicle maintanence and he's ran it out of oil a couple times and its the only thing thats saved it.

I DO steer away from any oil/additives that have parafin in it (quaker state, penzoil etc). In hot burning engines, it breaks down and sits in the bottom of the oil pan and turns into a nasty mayo type sludge. I"ve seen it before when my uncle took apart an engine.

AccordEpicenter
07-14-2003, 02:54 PM
For fuel injector cleaner the best stuff is chevron Techron. Ive seen sombody use it on a GM 3100 V6 that had a steady miss due to a plugged injector and they ran this stuff with a few gallons of good gas and the engine ran smoothly after a while... thats impressive. As for oil treatments ive heard the only ones that do anything are ones like slick 50 with the teflon and ptfe, like dura lube.

charlesb2003
07-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
I DO steer away from any oil/additives that have parafin in it (quaker state, penzoil etc). In hot burning engines, it breaks down and sits in the bottom of the oil pan and turns into a nasty mayo type sludge.

:omg: so THAT'S what that white crap was that came out of my mom's 3gee when i changed her oil...

she had put a bottle of that STP oil treatment in it when i wasn't looking one time... that damn AUTOZONE employee told her to :burn:

NXRacer
07-14-2003, 03:17 PM
white crap can also be due to a water leak (ie bad headgasket). If she had that problem, i'd check to see if there were more problems. Does her car have white smoke out of her tail pipe? thats a good way to tell if the headgasket is going bad. Otherwise it could be sludge buildup.

charlesb2003
07-14-2003, 03:39 PM
well this winter it would put out a little white smoke just on startup and then after it was warmed up it would stop. doesn't do it in the summer. it's got 212,000 miles on it tho, could that just be from age?

another weird thing her car does, about half the time you go to start it, it doesn't start on the first try, but it starts fine on the second. like, you could turn it over as much as you want on the first try and it won't get fire, but stop and try again and it fires right up. and sometimes the idle drops to like 200 and it shakes real bad right after starting and then revs back to normal, but other than that she runs fine.

it's an LX-i btw, 87, just like mine except hers is a hatch.

1988starter
07-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by charlesb2003
:omg: so THAT'S what that white crap was that came out of my mom's 3gee when i changed her oil...

she had put a bottle of that STP oil treatment in it when i wasn't looking one time... that damn AUTOZONE employee told her to :burn:

I have a friend who ises stp 4 cyl engine treatment in his tempo has been for about a year and a half I alaways change his oil never had anything white in it.