PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise, loss of power.

1989accordaz
10-26-2014, 09:36 AM
A few days ago, my 89 Automatic started to make a ticking noise coming from the engine. more noticeable at idle or low RPMS. A couple of days later, it felt sluggish when accelerating, to the point of flooring it , and sporadically it would not accelerate

Going to open the valve cover and check for the timing belt being loose, will check the valve gap as well. Other things I have read to do a compression test, timing and hopefully it can point me in the right direction.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

1989accordaz
10-26-2014, 01:11 PM
I opened the valve cover and the first thing I see is that the camshaft pulley retaining bolt has back out to where made contact with the upper belt cover. I replaced the timing belt almost a year ago, I imagine that I didn't torque this bolt correctly...

A18A
10-26-2014, 04:00 PM
did you figure out the lack of power

1989accordaz
10-26-2014, 05:03 PM
A18A, not yet. I checked my timing marks and they are ok. I haven't done a compression test yet. I took it around the block for a test drive, and there is definitely something else wrong with it. Loss of power is still present. Does not accelerate fast enough or even normal. I got home and there is a quite a bit of smoke coming from the engine bay. I know that I need to replace my oil filter base gasket. But the amount of smoke coming from the engine bay is above substantial, more than what I have seen before. So all that smoke and loss of power maybe related. I'll put the car up on ramps and get under it to see where all that oil is coming from and hope it can help me get to what is causing my lack of acceleration.

The ticking is gone.

Next up is checking for timing, just to rule out the possibility of my timing being off. When I removed the valve cover and aligned the marks on the cam pulley, the marking on my flywheel look ok though.

Being reading that a clogged catalytic converter could also cause power loss, just not sure how to check for that yet.

Dr_Snooz
10-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Check your oil pressure. If it gets low enough, the valves will start ticking. The rings are next to go, along with your power. Look for black smoke coming from your tailpipe.

1989accordaz
10-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Dr_Snooz, Thanks for the pointer. I will check the oil pressure tomorrow and as might as well take care of the oil base gasket and oil pressure sender.

Also, there is no smoke ( dark or white ) coming from my exhaust.

My spark-plugs looked clean.

10/27/14 Well I didn't get much done today. I removed the oil filter base gasket and bought a new oil pressure sending unit. I'll install it today and pick up a oil pressure test kit and see what my oil pressure is like.

I'll also borrow and infrared thermometer from work and check the temp at the catalytic converter, the symptoms I was having ( haven't driven the car yet ) are just those of a clogged cat, doesn't matter what rpms I am at, it won't accelerate past 30 mph, or so...even if I floor it. Long shot but an easy test so as might as well do it.

1989accordaz
10-29-2014, 08:47 PM
So I finally get the chance to work on my loss of power issue. I can clearly hear the pump energize, but I went ahead and disconnected the fuel line at the fuel filter under the hood to check on the volume of fuel I am getting...and I get nothing, tried several times, I hear the pump every time and still no fuel.

So tomorrow I will troubleshoot further. I replaced the pump within a year ago. I'll get a fuel pressure test kit and hopefully solve this issue. I have a feeling that either my year old fuel filters are clogged or I have a failing year old pump.

1989accordaz
11-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Still chasing this loss of power issue, lack of time.

Just checked my timing, base timing with vacuum ports plugged, had to advance the dizzy all the way so the white mark lines up with the pointer. When vacuum is plugged, the red mark or 15 degree is way off. Can't turn the dizzy any more. Base timing does line up when turn by hand, white mark to cam pulley marks check ok.

So I am probably looking at a bad vacuum advance? I need to check how much vacuum I am getting at vacuum hose #2.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Dr_Snooz
11-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Did you ever check the oil pressure?

1989accordaz
11-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Dr-Snooz, I got the car running. I didn't check the oil pressure, could not find a test kit that had the right adapter. I think I will just add an oil pressure gauge for my piece of mind.

I replaced my fuel pump, and both filters, as well as the oil filter base gasket ( which started to leak like crazy )Also new spark plugs and air filter.

What I did find is that my timing was a bit off. So I adjusted the timing, but with the vacuum connected it doesn't make it to the 15 degree mark. I did advance it, hard to tell how much ( a couple of degrees I hope) and now I am idling at 1k. But I am not stalling. My vacuum advance has a leak. So I will be taking care of it this weekend.

Pinging or knocking is gone. I have never adjusted the valve lash. ( bought the car in 91 ) so I will be checking it this weekend as well.

This is the first time it lost power the way it did, going up on an incline and would just not accelerate past 20 or 30 mph.

So I need to test the catalytic converter, oil pressure and compression. I took the sparkplugs out today after two days of driving and 1 and 4 are clean. 2 and 3 have darkened, not oil though. I don't see any black or white smoke out of the exhaust either.

This one did puzzle me a bit. It has been probably 15 years or so since I took the car to a mechanic (thanks to this site ). I don't think I have found the root of the problem yet. I'll post updates once I get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for the help.

derolph
11-07-2014, 08:24 AM
If you decide you need to replace the catalytic converter, see my comments about recycling a catalytic converter (for money) at http://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-accords/105495-choices-replacing-catalytic-converter.html#post1162319, post #10.

1989accordaz
11-08-2014, 07:28 AM
delrolph, I did come across your thread searching for info on CC. I got an infrared thermometer and will test the temps today. And if I end up replacing it, you bet I will try the recycling place so I can get ( hopefully ) some cash for it.

Dr_Snooz
11-09-2014, 10:51 AM
An alternative to finding an oil pressure gauge is to take the car out and tromp on it (WOT). If a big blue cloud blows out the back, you'll know what to do.