PDA

View Full Version : how to fix rear window defroster?

bobafett
12-17-2002, 08:04 PM
ok the little metal piece that should be attached to the window has fallen off. how difficult is the process of attaching it again, can i solder it, or do i need to try something else..

the connection, from the wires coming out of the hatch, has disconnected from the defrost lines on the back... does that make any more sense? lol, well is one of you knows what i am talking about, maybe there is a name for it. anyway, what can i do about this?

My 89 Accord Lxi
12-18-2002, 08:04 PM
i have that same problem and it really sux

njpeter
12-18-2002, 09:25 PM
luckily I haven't, but perhaps this may give hope...

first you need to get some 12 gauge wire..prep it nice..stranded wire would be the first way I'd try it. Get a connector soldered on one end for the hookup to the defroster feed.

get some five minute epoxy.

get the wire glued on the window within strike distance of the stripe that connects all the defroster lines.

now for the magic...

get some "conductive paint"..it's used to repair single broken lines in a defroster, and to fix and prototype printed circut boards.

apply in a liberal fashion..coat well..but try to be neat about it..a rear window can't be that expensive can it?

with some carful use of expoxy..and making sure the wire glued to the window has some clean areas ( once glued I think it would be easy to use some emery paper to make it shiny) you should be able to get it to work.

Of course the glass shop might do the whole thing for $25 cash

check radio shack, auto supply or decent electronics supply for the conductive paint..
good luck

bobafett
12-18-2002, 09:48 PM
the connectER is all there, its like it just got busted off. so i all i need is the epoxy i guess.

yeah i will ask around, i am sure its really simple, but its a PITA.. :)