PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys I need some help...

SiCReX
12-18-2002, 12:09 AM
I have an 87 accord lxi, i reeeeally want to put in a 3rd gen jdm accord b20a. My engine is gettin lots o mileage (205,000+) I can't find anywhere to even see how much it would cost or anything. Can someone please tell me what a good site to buy one from is? And is it really that much of a pain in the ass to do it yourself, seeing as how I have never done a swap before. thx

RCracer
12-18-2002, 01:54 AM
If the engine/tranny comes complete with rear engine mount bracket the engine will prety much drop in on the original mounts.
If it comes with the intermediate shaft and driveshafts its a bonus.
There is a little wiring to be done but how to do that is explained more than once on the board.

As for finding the 86-89 accord B20a well I cant really help (I bought mine in a parts car complete). Try ringing some engine importers (some of them dont even know its a accord engine and think its a 2nd Gen prelude engine only), with the number of B20a's that are appearing someone must have some somewhere. It may be hard to get a 5speed though

merlindavis
12-18-2002, 04:27 AM
actually, i'm betting most engine importers will try to sell you the 3rd gen prelude b20a... most of them think it's for the 3g lude only, not 2g lude or 3g accord... if you end up finding one online, ask to see a picture of the engine you will be buying first, and make sure it's the correct engine...the main identifying features would be that it's canted forwards = quite a bit of room between vc and tb, and that the alternator mounts at the back of the engine, not the front like my 3g lude b20a... take a look at any pic of a b20a/a5 or b21a1 in a 3g lude, and you'll see how little space there is between the throttle body and valve cover... it's quite a large difference between the two jdm b20a engines...

RobT5580
12-18-2002, 10:52 AM
Your in luck because i can find a ton of 86/87 B20As which sucks for me cause i wanted to start with the 88/89 style but i will have to do it with the gold top. I will get some details up when i go home.

SiCReX
12-18-2002, 11:51 AM
aight cool, but where do you find all the b20As??? And whats the difference between the 86/87 and 88/89? also, what is the name of the company that makes parts for the older accords, I think it has been said before but I don't remember the name and I dont know which post.

RobT5580
12-18-2002, 12:26 PM
Im not at home now but if you look online you will find them. The 86/87 is somewhat different on the intake manifolds. I have been searching for the 88/89 style but could only find a long block. One place you can check is www.openloopmotorsports.com he said he may be able to get one. There are others but you should do some homework and learn about what you need to get with the motor cause there are some modifications needed.

SiCReX
12-18-2002, 03:17 PM
I have seen the b20 that they are talking about on there, the gold valve cover one, but I want to know prices.

RobT5580
12-18-2002, 04:24 PM
I have had a range from $450 long block to around $1500 complete. If you call Darryl at openloop he will get a price but i dont think he will ship an engine (i think he said that before but not sure). I would expect to spend some money on parts as of right now i know of 3 different vendors and prices on JDM parts are marked up plus some require shipping from japan. I am working on a price list from another honda dealer out of the country. If you look down this forum you will see a few prices from one vendor i found.