PDA

View Full Version : coolant sensor

89RIDE
12-18-2002, 10:04 AM
What's happenin guys. I just got back for winter break from college and i need to fix my car up from a couple of months of my sister using it. Is the coolant temperature sensor the screwed in bolt with the connector closer to thermostat or closer to the engine block? And i'm thinking of ordering the sensor from nopi.com, and their sensor says it's for our year car, all makes all models, but it also says (used with gauges) and it has what it looks like to be an extra wire coming out of it. Can i still use this for my car, and if so where does that other wire go? Thanks

AZmike
12-18-2002, 12:16 PM
There are two coolant temp sensors in the thermostat housing. The coolant temperature sensor for the ECU in closest to the engine block. The temperature guage sender is on the back of the thermostat housing facing the firewall.

Which one are you looking for? What problems are you having?

anchovies
12-18-2002, 02:49 PM
That one on nopi is the gauge sender. Just go to your auto parts store and get the temp switch. Actually, go to Honda to get one. The aftermarket switches turns on the fan abit later.

Is it the temp switch (TW) or the temp sensor (for ECU) (ECT) that you're looking for.

89RIDE
12-19-2002, 10:32 PM
My car has been having starting problems for awhile now, and i remember reading somewhere on the board about someone's temp. sensor going bad and that resulted in the car not starting right all the time. So I think i'm looking for the sensor, because my fan works fine. So is the sensor on nopi the one i'm looking for?

anchovies
12-19-2002, 10:35 PM
No.
For the starting problems, it's the ECT sensor (sensor with white socket, nearer to engine on thermostate housing). Just go to any auto parts store, about $30.