PDA

View Full Version : remove rust without a whole new paint job?

accordster
05-19-2002, 11:37 AM
is it possible to remove small rust spots without going to a body shop, or getting a whole new paint job? if so, anyone got suggestions?

YK86
05-19-2002, 12:33 PM
Yes there is a way but it's quite hard. You have to be pretty good with painting. After fixing the body, you only paint up to a certain point (say the moulding) so even if there is a slight color difference between the new and old paint, it's not too noticeable. I'll attach a pic (I didn't paint any part of the door). I painted mine from the pinstrip down. Taped everything off above and where I didn't want to paint. If you don't have a thing to cut it off at (like the pinstripe or moulding), you will need to blend but that is EXTREMLEY hard to do at home especially if the paint isn't 100% the exact same color. Here's a pic of the car I painted in my garage. The circled area is where I painted and the rest of the surrounding area is original paint. Even in real life, most people can't tell I painted it.

accordster
05-19-2002, 12:46 PM
ok, so if i decide to do this my self, what do i need, and what is the best paint to use, also how do i know what color? my accord is maroon but is there a color code?

YK86
05-19-2002, 04:01 PM
You will need sandpaper (like 400-1200 grit) just to scuff the old paint, paint prep stuff (to get rid of all the old wax and to get the paint to stick good), and paint. I got the paint color matched locally and they used PPG (brand) acrylic enamel. You don't need clear coat after with this stuff. You can get the paint code from the driver's side door jam.