PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Harbor Freight

Dr_Snooz
11-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Many of you know that I'm a big booster of Harbor Freight. Yes, their tools are subpar in a lot of respects and don't last very long, but dog-gone it, they're cheap and last well enough for a weekend warrior who doesn't want to spend a million dollars on a tool he's only going to use a few times in his life. In my paying work, however, I aim for more professional grade tools. Because I work in construction again, I can find most of those tools at Home Depot and the like. In my wrenching endeavors, things are more complicated. Right now, I'm looking for a decent engine hoist. Harbor Freight's is too small to lift the engine over the radiator of my truck. It's so small, in fact, that I'd do well to pull the 3g engine with it. It's more like something you'd give to your 12 year old so he could pull the engine on his go-kart or something. It's a toy, really.

So the question is, if you don't want to buy something like that at Harbor Freight, where do you buy it? Ideally, I'm looking for a store front where I don't have to pay for shipping.

cygnus x-1
11-05-2014, 07:50 AM
I'm surprised you don't like the HF engine hoist. I've had one for years (I think it's the 1 ton) and it's pulled several engines no problem, including V8s. On my Samurai I had to lift a VW diesel + transmission about 3.5 feet (oil pan to ground) to clear the upper radiator support. Then had to angle the transmission down about 45deg to get it down into the tunnel. I was pushing the limit of the lift height but it did it.

If you need more than that, honestly I think you're better off getting a chain hoist and putting it on a rolling A-frame or attaching it to the garage ceiling, perhaps on a track. You may be able to find a bigger floor type hoist but I doubt you will find one at a local store. As far as alternatives to Harbor Freight; Tractor Supply has some stores in CA. And I think the typical parts stores can also get engine hoists, although they will likely be exactly the same as the HF variety. In fact I bet most hoists you find are exactly like the HF variety.

C|

gp02a0083
11-05-2014, 09:02 AM
I dont really mind stuff from HF. Cant complain about free stuff

Dr_Snooz
11-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Cygnus, the upright on the hoist comes up to about shoulder height on me. The boom may extend 2'. The grill on my truck comes up to about my sternum. I didn't try it, but I just don't see that working out. I had two other guys in the shop with me when I assembled it. We all had a good laugh at how small it is compared to the truck.

Is your hoist yellow, orange or gray?

cygnus x-1
11-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Cygnus, the upright on the hoist comes up to about shoulder height on me. The boom may extend 2'. The grill on my truck comes up to about my sternum. I didn't try it, but I just don't see that working out. I had two other guys in the shop with me when I assembled it. We all had a good laugh at how small it is compared to the truck.

Is your hoist yellow, orange or gray?

Mine is orange. What you describe sounds much smaller than mine, although it's out on loan at the moment so I can't go measure it.

According to the website The HF cranes have a max lift of about 90". If you figure about 16" for the leveler, 24" for the engine itself, that leaves you 50" of lift. It would probably do it but it's getting tight. If you think you might use this hoist a lot it may be worth getting something bigger, like a gantry crane.

Telescoping Gantry Crane - 1 Ton (http://www.harborfreight.com/http-www-harborfreight-com-1-ton-telescoping-gantry-crane-41188-html.html)

That's just the frame so you would also need a chain hoist or one of the electric hoists. This would be a much safer and more versatile setup (and more expensive of course). You could also use it for lifting heavy items into or out of your truck. I've wished I had something like this a few times.

C|

Dr_Snooz
11-06-2014, 06:51 PM
I have the gray one and it's so small it looks like a toy. I have borrowed ones in the past that were much larger, if memory serves. I just don't see this one working for me. The sucko part is that every other tool site is offering the exact same hoist, painted different colors, and much more expensive, of course.

I've thought about building my own gantry crane. A few 4x4's and a 4x10 would be pretty cheap and plenty strong. A chain hoist isn't too much either. Might be time to act on that plan. Alternatively, I can also go across the driveway to the fabrication shop and ask to use their forklift. That's not really the way I like to pull engines though. Too herky jerky and way too easy to break stuff.

So what I'm getting is that no one knows a decent alternative to Harbor Freight. You can buy cheap tools at Harbor Freight, or buy the same tools elsewhere for more money and more hassle. That's kinda what I thought but wanted to confirm it.

cygnus x-1
11-07-2014, 09:49 AM
I have the gray one and it's so small it looks like a toy. I have borrowed ones in the past that were much larger, if memory serves. I just don't see this one working for me. The sucko part is that every other tool site is offering the exact same hoist, painted different colors, and much more expensive, of course.

Well, try running it up to max height and take some measurements. That design has been around forever and is pretty ubiquitous. It's possible there are larger versions, but I haven't seen one.

I've thought about building my own gantry crane. A few 4x4's and a 4x10 would be pretty cheap and plenty strong. A chain hoist isn't too much either. Might be time to act on that plan. Alternatively, I can also go across the driveway to the fabrication shop and ask to use their forklift. That's not really the way I like to pull engines though. Too herky jerky and way too easy to break stuff.

Yeah, you could certainly build a gantry, even out of wood. If it's done well it would be pretty strong too.

So what I'm getting is that no one knows a decent alternative to Harbor Freight. You can buy cheap tools at Harbor Freight, or buy the same tools elsewhere for more money and more hassle. That's kinda what I thought but wanted to confirm it.

That's pretty much it as far as larger chain stores go. Maybe look around for some industrial or automotive suppliers, but expect to pay more.

C|

Oldblueaccord
11-07-2014, 08:10 PM

Im pretty happy with Portable Generators, Pressure Washers, Power Tools, Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com) but I dont know if there west coast or not. They can drop ship it to a store and most times you dont pay shiping charges. But as you know I dont buy things made in China so I bought one used long ago at a car show.

To get a motor out of a big truck youll prolly have to either remove the rad and grill and pull it thru the front. You might be able to get away with pulling the from tires off and getting it low that way.

I looked at gantrys for my garage but there not really rated for moving loads just lifting vertical even though everyone wheels stuff around with them anyway. We do it at work all the time.

Dr_Snooz
11-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Just so ya'll know I'm not making this up.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/classic-honda-community-chat/109020-important-notes-harbor-freight-engine-hoists.html

Oldblueaccord
11-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Just so ya'll know I'm not making this up.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/classic-honda-community-chat/109020-important-notes-harbor-freight-engine-hoists.html

I rear you other post on this. I think the boom length is the key. Ill measure mine but your looks way shorter than the older ones I have seen.

Dr_Snooz
11-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Anybody every used Eastwood.com? It looks like they have some higher grade stuff than Harbor Freight. Gearwrench, ATD, etc.

Oldblueaccord
11-18-2014, 01:02 AM
Anybody every used Eastwood.com? It looks like they have some higher grade stuff than Harbor Freight. Gearwrench, ATD, etc.

I never have ordered anything from them but they are reputable. they carry alot of specialty stuff for automotive people esp. resto crowd.

I shot a picture of my hoist here and measured out the boom at about 81". Didnt want to clutter up your other thread.

http://imageshack.com/a/img674/4393/Ap5T0l.jpg

I did have a thought that the building you use you might be about to rig beam type crane.

Dr_Snooz
11-18-2014, 08:29 PM
I did have a thought that the building you use you might be about to rig beam type crane.

I was in the process of stringing up a come-along when my brother-in-law's father showed up to nix my plans. My brother-in-law owns the shed outright, but the father built it and sold the property with house and shed to him at a somewhat reduced price. Brother-in-law encouraged me to use the rafters, but father was of a different opinion. Apparently, there is some confusion over property rights here. Father still acts a lot as if he owns the property, showing up regularly to deliver instructions on yard care, store his equipment, let himself into the house through the back door, etc. It's complicated and not really my business, so whatever.

The irony is that "someone" put a massive 6x6 beam up in the rafters with a thick chain hanging down. It's long enough to span 5 trusses too. Brother-in-law remembers tractor engines being hoisted from it during his childhood, but father shares no such memories. Father is sure that the whole shed will collapse if I hoist an engine from it.

Father won't acknowledge me or make eye contact if we are on the property together.

I spent last Saturday carefully loading (with brother-in-law's blessing) my engine onto a flatbed trailer that father left to be stored in the shed. I showed up Monday to take the engine in to the machine shop. When I arrived, my engine was sitting on the shop floor and the trailer had vanished. Father had shown up just before me to retrieve the trailer. He simply unloaded my engine (I don't know how; it weighs 500 lbs) without asking anyone about it and took it. My sister was in the house with the kids when they looked out the window to see the trailer driving away. Then father called up brother-in-law to issue instructions as to who is allowed to do what with the trailer.

That's how father rolls.

It really blew my day all to crap. I had already taken off work and had to spend the rest of the day scrambling to find another trailer. So I'll be praying blessings on father and will go out of my way to help him when he needs it, but I'm definitely looking for an alternative work place now. I don't need to be in the middle of that kind of thing.

Anyway, I blow engines enough that I need to have a good hoist. The 2-ton is adequate, so I'm good.

pontiacfieroguy
01-28-2015, 05:40 PM
You could always deflate the front tires on the truck or even better take them off and put some short stands under the frame.

2ndTimeHondaOwner
01-28-2015, 06:59 PM
I had a problem like this with my Toyota (35/12.5 tires, 4 inch lift) Got some cheap steel rims with no tires on then and that lowered it enough to clear the grill. I have now solved the problem even better, sold the truck and bought an 86 Accord

carotman
01-29-2015, 05:40 AM
Maybe you could use a gantry crane instead. This would allow you to hoist many more things than just engines. They are more expensive than engine hoist though.

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2015, 08:09 PM
The gantry is a good idea and I entertained thoughts of building my own. In some respects, it would be a better solution for my property where the ground is very uneven and I'm still working on dirt a lot of the time. I might end up with one in the end.

The truck is all back together and running good now, BTW.