PDA

View Full Version : Requesting to pick some brains on machining carbed head to put on fi motor.

D-rockilla
11-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Hello everyone. I know you guys get annoyed with answering questions over and again and if this is one of those i sincerely apologize. I have a 88 lxi with the a20a3 in it of course. She is my daily and is pushing 265xxx miles. she runs great and no real problems. I am planing a major overhaul on her starting around the first of the year. In the mean time i picked up a spare head but its from a carbed model and i dont know if its a1 or a2 honestly. I am in the process of striping it down to send to the machine shop for some work. I have read some of the threads here about similar topics. So i know the thermo housings are different and the distributors are different but they look like you can swap them out. Is there anything else that needs to be done to make this head work? my overall goal is to do some mild upgrades to this head and when its done swap it on the car. Any advise is greatly appreciated and if i am missing something or need to explain better just comment. You guys have been vary helpful in the past.

carotman
11-06-2014, 12:35 PM
The head will work fine. Just swap the distributor bracket and use it as is.

niles
11-06-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm running a rebuilt head (PJO) from a carbed Accord on my EFI. I used the distributor bracket from my old head. No issues :)

I did a write up on it.

Dr_Snooz
11-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Ditto here. I'm running a carbed head on my LX-i with a distributor mount swap.

D-rockilla
11-06-2014, 05:58 PM
ok thanks guys. Niles do you have a link to your write up? I would vary much like to read through it. I am planning on adding a turbo to it this spring. What do you guys recommend For machining the head to match the turbo set up? Should i just port match everything and just keep it stock as in valves and such?

niles
11-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Here's a link to my thread: http://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-accords/101980-i-take-back-everything-i-said-i-knew-about-cars.html

I'd recommend just port matching, unless you want to spend big $$$ on larger valves and all kinds of custom machining. There is a killer thread out there somewhere, maybe on a different site even, where a guy did a mega head-build on a PJO head. I wish I saved the link. Some clever googling will turn it up.

It was very inspiring, and I did none of it :)

For my 3Gee the new head was more than enough to breathe new life into my engine!

D-rockilla
11-08-2014, 05:46 AM
thanks guys.