PDA

View Full Version : Preludes With All Wheel Steering!?

My 89 Accord Lxi
12-18-2002, 08:15 PM
i was reading my sport car magazine i got like 9 years ago and it has the prelude in it and it says that when the car is turned slow enough the back wheels move to help it turn sharper and quicker. do they still do this in newer preludes!?

1989 DX R
12-18-2002, 08:31 PM
Yes. Look for a Prelude SH.

87DXHatch
12-18-2002, 08:55 PM
NO, they do NOT.

It was only offered on the 88-91 Prelude Si-S models. It turned WITH the direction you were steering in light steering apps, and OPPOSITE the way you turn in hard turning apps.

They were full of problems and had all sorts of recalls if I remember right, so they stopped doing it.

87DXHatch
12-18-2002, 08:56 PM
I've driven a Type SH... it's just the highest trim level. Believe me, I cranked the wheel, and it turned like a normal car.

njpeter
12-18-2002, 09:09 PM
I made a crack to my wife when that new pickup with 4 wheel streering commercial came on the tube.

That idea bombed big

let's see if it's any better on the truck

carotman
12-18-2002, 09:23 PM
there was little problem with it and there were 2 different systems available (1 for the 3rd gen and 2 for the 4th gen)

The newer preludes in Europe still have this

The only reason they stopped importing those is because they didn'T sell enough

Jims 86LXI HB
12-18-2002, 10:48 PM
Yeah the 4th gen prelude had 4 wheel steering for at least 1,2, maybe 3 model years. I know it was discontunued before the 96 model year. I've heard it was a big reliability problem and should be avoided.

What make's the 97-2001 prelude SH special is it's ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System). Think of it as a smart limited slip differential that is activated only when sensor's know your pulling some g's and have the steering wheel turned. It does absolutely nothing in a strait line and if your not cornering. For that reason I'm going to avoid the SH and install a true LSD in a non SH lude. That way I have LSD benefit's for standing starts and while not just cornering. The ATTS does have a unique trick up it's sleave, it will purposly allow the outside wheel to spin a bit faster, in addition to limiting slip. Less steering imput and less understeer. Nice, but I want a full time LSD instead.

ACCORD EX
12-19-2002, 12:54 AM
i think this system sucks ! and too difficult to maintain ! though its cool !

MIKE

1989 DX R
12-19-2002, 04:36 AM
Ah, thanks for correcting me. I don't know much about Preludes.

Midnight
12-19-2002, 07:17 AM
I want onw of those prelude and I found one guy with it but he doesn't wanna sell that shit. wut an old ass gezer.

AccordEpicenter
12-19-2002, 01:12 PM
yeh those 88-91 ludes were pretty kewl, when you turn the wheel just a little to do somthing (like a lanechange) the back wheels will turn in the same direction as the fronts, but if you turn harder the wheels will go back to straight ahead, then turn in the opposite direction as youre turning to help you corner better. Neat system...

safeel
12-20-2002, 04:24 PM
Those prelude are cool as fuck.
My m8 the honda enthusiast had one ( he totaled it )
He had 17 inch wheels on it, and slammed to its arse and the handling on that car was the best ever!
Most of the preludes over heehave the 4 wheel steer.
Thats my next car!