PDA

View Full Version : starter

Zeboy
12-19-2002, 12:37 PM
I have narrowed my troubles to the starter. I checked e belt and pistons and they are good but when I try to start it nothing spins. ASnd you hear the starter spinning and clicking, but it doesn't hit anything. So I think it is floating and moving. Does anyone know where the starter is on the car. A diagram would be greatly welcome. If not thanks anyway.

cruznz
12-19-2002, 01:25 PM
hmmm....sounds like the pull-in windings on starter solenoid aren't working...............follow the positive lead from battery.....it'll go to the starter

anchovies
12-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Starter is on the tranny. Probably green color. Like cruznz said, follow the positive cable. If the starter is spinning, then it might be the gear not catching the flywheel.

cruznz
12-20-2002, 04:36 AM
hmmm,....just to clarify;....inside solenoid are 2 sets of windings.....pull-in windings and hold-in windings...once energised,they do as their name suggests on plunger inside....the plunger,(has 2 contacts on it), makes contact with a disc and power goes to starter motor....this disc is the most common cause of solenoid failure.......

you should maybe check and clean all the contacts first....

greekguy7
12-20-2002, 05:10 AM
yup... sounds like the starter.

Sometimes, if you hit the starter case with a hammer a couple times, you can get it to work temporarily. Be careful if you are not that experienced at messing with cars or how to get underneath one SAFELY!

joker2
12-20-2002, 06:08 AM
Well, he doesn't have to get under the car to take the starter out...... If you look right under the distributor and move the radiator hose you should see the starter.... Only two bolts hold it on so it's not that hard to take it off if you have the right tools.....:D

ACCORD EX
12-20-2002, 08:09 AM
check teh clutch how to's in the how to 's section ! you can find teh starter place and removal there !

MIKE