PDA

View Full Version : Flooded Trunk

BMS
12-19-2002, 03:42 PM
So, there I was, getting ready to rotate my tires, and what did my little eyes see? A lake. In the trunk. My spare was going for a swim. The carpet and wood on the driver's side is all wet, my spare was sitting in about 2 inches of water, and now my car is starting to smell funny. This coincides with the first really heavy rain. So, my qustion is this: where can water get in besides the seal around the trunk lid?

RobT5580
12-19-2002, 04:58 PM
My old accord leaked from the back window which is hard to find without taking out all the panels. Or maybe even rear side windows (if a coupe). If could be the tail light gaskets as well. I would start by removing the lining to the trunk and hose it down to try and locate the leak and you can pull one of the plugs in the bottom of the trunk to drain it.

AccordEpicenter
12-19-2002, 06:27 PM
I used to get alot of water in my trunk too, and it seemed to be coming in off the trunk lid near the plastic liscene plate holder thing. I just took some sillicone and sealed it up where the plastic meets the painted metal on the outside particularly underneath the H on the trunk lid. It gave me an interesting white line but it worked (needed to protect the system from water, inelegant but effective fix).

BMS
12-19-2002, 09:19 PM
Well, after I posted this, I pulled the car into the garage (much rain lately) and started looking for causes. I orginally started by searching the edges of the compartment. Nothing. I noticed condensation on the lid and stuck my finger up some openings, and it cam out wet. So, I took the tail-light assy. off ad itwas all wetup in there. What happened is that some of the bolts holding on the plastic piece had broken out of he plastic, like they were over-tightened and snapped. So, with the gaskets not completely tight, water was allowed to get around it into the trunk. Now my problem is how to fix it. I can't tighten it because the bolts don't exist anymore, so I'm thinking lots of silicone, or some stick-on weather strippng to beef up the gasket.

AccordEpicenter
12-20-2002, 04:46 PM
id bet on the sillicone, it still works great on my car and its been like that for nearly a year

BMS
12-20-2002, 04:53 PM
But can I get grey colored stuff to match my paint, or do I have to live with a white stripe? Maybe I can get some black touch-up paint and make it black. Do you know?

Neuspeed87lx
12-20-2002, 09:39 PM
well i dont know how to seal it but i would unclog the drain hole on the bottom of your trunk so the water that does get in will drain out ...just jam a pen or something threw the hole

BMS
12-20-2002, 09:45 PM
Yeah, luckily it has stopped raining. For now. If it starts again I will just jam the hole open. My carpet is still all wet though. I think I figured out how to fix it with silicone, but it'll be three or four days till I have the time to do it.