PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering LX

carobotics
12-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Ok, I posted before about this and didn't really get any difinative answers. I ignored the problem, hopeing it would go away in the spring :rolleyes: (stupid, I know) but it has gotten worse.

First: I go out in the morning and start my car. Runs fine for a little bit, then dies. Doesn't matter whether or not I give it gas. Start again, dies imediatly. Start a third time, dies imediatly. Does not start after that. I spend the next 5 mins cranking the car starter on and off before it starts.

Second: The car starts jerking violently at about 60km/h. Jerking like it's running out of gas. If I floor it, it either looses power all together, or it jerks even more violently.

I have a brand new Accel coil, brand new NGK 8mm wires and fairly new Bosh Platnium plugs (gapped to .45)
I also put a T fitting inbetween the secondary fuel filter and the carb and drove the car. At idle it showed 1 psi, at 50km/h i have close to zero. I disconected the carb and read the pressure off the secondary filter and ran the car. Pressure showed 1.5psi

So, this leads me to the theory that one of the fuel filters is plugged. I replaced the secondary last spring, but never got around to replaceing the primary.

Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

carobotics
12-19-2002, 04:53 PM
any ideas?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-19-2002, 06:12 PM
carobotics,

I had a problem almost identical to yours except I only had start problems. Basically what I did was replace the primary fuel filter, secondary fuel filter, and the airfilter. This whole procedure took about one and a half hours to comlete. Once I got done, the car started up immediately at the first crank and runs without miss firing or vibrating at low idle(as it used to before). (I think I would have eventually gotten to the same problem as you if I haven't replcaed the filters :stick: )

Here is a thread where I aksed about the same problem:

Fuel delivery????? (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10712)

Replacing the primary filter can be done without safety stands, however you MUST BE DOING IT ON A LEVEL SURFACE. For safety I took the wheel I took off of the car to reach the fuel filter and slid the tire right under the drum in the back. Then just jently lower the car until the drum gently touches the tire. Leave the jack in place. If anything goes wrong, the drum will be on the tire and that will support the car. By the way, I had to get under the car ONLY once during the whole procedure and only to have a look at how the filter is attached. Also, it makes it a lot easier to disconnect fuel lines if you remove the little cup/filter holder. For that, just back out the two screws on the flange of the holder. Don't be tempted by the square looking nut next to the holder, It is NOT to be removed or tampered with. When you get the filter, get four new line clamps (round tightener thingies that hold the line on the filter). The clamps that were installed on my car were old and weak. Makes sense to replace them to avoid comlications. Then double check all your connections and reassemble your car. :tongue: Try firing it up.

Hope this helps ya.

carobotics
12-19-2002, 06:26 PM
stupid filter
I went ahead and replaced the stupid thing before I read your post. I didn't have any clamps, and I broke off three. So that thing is on without clamps now. Is this dangerous? Ya, it would be inconvieniant if those popped off, but will it start a fire or anything? And how likely are they to pop off? I did the whole thing under the car. I should have removed the tire. One of the bolts wouldn't come off for the cup, so I removed the one and broke the other off (figured it wasn't a good idea to grind it off)
I spilled engine degreaser on the floor and the ass of my pants soaked it up. My ass was so numb from the concrete I didn't notice. I took the hose off the metal fuel line after the filter before I took it off the filter so it was easier to pull, but I got a face-full of gas!! In my mouth, up my nose, and in my eyes!! I had to run down the hill to my house to flush my eyes, my mom's yelling at me telling me I'm going to go blind. I hate it!!!

Can I just put in a straight piece of pipe in place of the primary filter and move the primary to under the hood just before the secondary? Save time in the future.

Well, I'm going for a test drive and I'll let you all know if it's fixed.

carobotics
12-19-2002, 06:47 PM
YESSS!!!!
Finally!!!!
It is fixed
The car has never pulled like that since I owned it.
It's better than before!!!! All that hell, all that pain for one stupid part, but it was so worth it!!!

anchovies
12-19-2002, 10:29 PM
Good luck. Don't drive near me, your car can blow up anytime :D

njpeter
12-20-2002, 06:10 AM
strongly suggested..so are glasses when you work on fuel systems, and a fire bottle( co2 better, especially if you live at your family home..ever see the kind of mess a powder extingisher makes?...and a helper ( hey somebody has to help you inside when you take gas in the eyes...and some prayers to the gods of combustion ( not to while you work on the car)

and the best tip?

if you are working on concrete, lay an old blanket down..one dropped wrench could spell disaster if there is fuel around..also helps contain the mess

ACCORD EX
12-20-2002, 08:10 AM
check your idle mixture screw for play ! may be it 's not tight enough ! does the probolem go when car is fully warmed up !

MIKE

CoAsTeR
12-21-2002, 07:57 AM
get those clamps on ASAP... if they pop off.... oh boy... that would suck.

By the time the fire department shows up... your car will be nothing but peice of charcoal. I learned that from experience heh...