PDA

View Full Version : CV Drive Shaft Removal HELP!!!!!

kevins89lxi
12-20-2002, 05:50 AM
I can not get the 32mm nut off of the outboard side of the shaft. I tried a breaker bar and a socket, which I broke into four pieces trying to get it off. Does anyone know what I can do to get it off, I do not want to take it into a shop. Please help!!!
And yes I have loosened the tab away from the notch

njpeter
12-20-2002, 05:59 AM
or spring for an electric impact gun..wouldn't hurt to spray some "liquid wrench" on the shaft also. 6 point sockets are considerably stronger then 12 point ones..and half inch drive is a MUST ( you could always go to a gas station ( that has a garage that is) and drop a ten spot on somebody to bust it loose for ya.

greekguy7
12-20-2002, 07:54 AM
A lot of the cheap impact gun wont have enough torque to bust that open... not sure what torque impact rating you will need. I saw some electric ones on ebay for like $35. I doubt they are that powerful.

ACCORD EX
12-20-2002, 08:13 AM
not impossible but very fuckin difficult ! it got the shit out of me to loosen it !

i used a socket ( used in loosenning trucks wheels ) and a 2 mm bar which i hang ove it to loosen it !

BTW i did it at a trucks wheel shop ! and then tighened it ith my socket till i reached home !

Site
12-20-2002, 08:16 AM
I used an 18" breaker bar with one of those cool hub nut sockets. Removed both sides that way when I replaced my clutch. Crap, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I notched the things when I replaced them.

2old_honda
12-20-2002, 08:34 AM
do not buy an electric impact gun. they do not have enough torque.

markmdz89hatch
12-20-2002, 08:45 AM
i had some severe trouble with mine too.

Tried an electric impact: not enough torque
Tried an 18" breaker bar: snapped it
Tried another 18" breaker bar with the jack handle on it: snapped that too
Tried a 24" breaker bar w/ jack handle: you guessed it... ..snap

The I broke out the Dremmel and carbide bits, and destroyed the nuts. That worked!

But I don't suggest doing that.

I agree to bring it to a garage that they know you, and slip one of the younger kids a 10 spot to crack them free for ya. Most mechanics will send you right out the door and feed you a line about liability, so good luck with that one.

My suggestion would be to hit it with some PB Blaster, let it sit overnight, then if you have a 3/4" 18 or 24" breaker bar, use that, otherwise a 1/2", slip the jack handle over the bar, and get it parrallel to the ground, then stand on the bar and lightly jump on it once to try and break it free. If that doesn't work:

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6276

oldsub86
12-20-2002, 07:19 PM
One of the main reasons for having an old car is that it provides the needed excuse to collect tools. If you can't get it apart, buy the tools that will take it apart. If you stay with the car hobby, you will use them again.

1987HondaAccord
12-20-2002, 09:23 PM
i had a hell of a time getting it off too. I used a socket and a pipe as an extension. Make sure you bend the little tab back before you use all of those expensive tools. Just keep trying.

2old_honda
12-20-2002, 10:06 PM
I really didnt have too much of a problem getting mine off.... but I did have a 1" drive socket and breaker bar with a 6' extention :lol: It always helps to have the right tool for the job :)

dieselhead
12-20-2002, 10:24 PM
Had similar problems to yours.You did punch out the little staking indentation didn't you?Meanwhile, if there is a Harbor Freight or other suchlike disposable tool outlet,obtain a 1/2" drive breaker bar 24" long.Obtain the socket from Sears,Home Depot or other reputable outlet that stands by their tools.Fit the socket and breaker,with the wheels on the ground start the car, place in reverse for the left side, D or 1st for the right side,gently apply throttle and presto! Either the #@%&*@ ! nuts come loose, or you bust a cheap breaker bar. Worked for me, I've done it at least six times on mine or other Hondas.OBTW, PB Blaster (the gearhead's friend) and judicious application of heat might help also. Just do it in the proper sequence.Rotsa Ruck...