PDA

View Full Version : Rain and Flipped Lid

honda88mike
12-20-2002, 08:29 AM
:confused: I know that watter in your engine is a very bad thing, but I want to keep my air lid flipped if possible. What I want to know is: will enough rain/road water be kicked up to my air box and get through my Fram filter to get into my engine and cause problems? Right now I have the lid on normal just in case. Replies are welcome!:super:

pmip
12-20-2002, 09:53 AM
I really doubt you'll get a drop of water in there (unless you have a hoodscoop or something). The drop of water would have to get kicked up from underneath, wind it's way through the engine, curve back in towards the filter, and then that drop of water would have to soak through your filter, then get into the engine. Even then, a drop of water isn't going to do much. And since it looks like you're in California, you don't need to worry about flipping it back in the winter.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-20-2002, 10:14 AM
It really shouldn't matter, I live in MN (cold and snowy and rainy) and I have the original Weber filter on and the car runs fine and like pmip said, it would be really difficult to get into the engine and if the engine is running the rain drop would probably evaporate when it metal.

SiR
12-21-2002, 07:01 AM
Wouldn't worry about it at all. I drive with it in the worst summer rain storms in FL with my flipped lid. Hell, I even cut out the sides of my airbox and no problems reported about injesting water.

Rooz

maka_RTH
12-21-2002, 12:22 PM
what about my intake and getting a car wash(which my car needs REALLY bad) and the underbody spraying thing that a lot of car washes have, not good for my intake?

2old_honda
12-21-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by maka_RTH
what about my intake and getting a car wash(which my car needs REALLY bad) and the underbody spraying thing that a lot of car washes have, not good for my intake?

do you have a CAI? If it is just a short ram you will be fine. The only way water will hurt your engine is if you suck in a large amount at one time, the only way this would happen is if your intake was totally submerged in water. Water in small amounts can sometimes be good for your engine (removes carbon deposits)

Nate2310
12-21-2002, 09:11 PM
Do you think that under body spraying thing would break neon underbody lights?

smufguy
12-21-2002, 10:45 PM
i dont think it would break em, but do remove it to prevent damage 'just in case' or why, do it in ur garage, u do know its the best form of wash right?

shepherd79
12-22-2002, 06:54 AM
you should be fine with fliped lid. i have mine cutout all the way around so filter sticks out. I have been driving in the rain a lot and i didn't see any performance loss.
your filter may get wet if you ran into the ocean or lake or even river.