PDA

View Full Version : headlight problem

DLC
11-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Tonight I experienced my first problem since getting the 89 Accord on the road. All of a sudden, the headlights just stopped working. What is weird though is that they work when I pull back the lever to flash the high beams. They continue to work as long as I pull back the dimmer switch. As soon as I let it go, they don't work on high beam or low beam. What in the world would cause this? Any help would be appreciated.

Dr_Snooz
11-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Check the fuses, then look into the combo switch.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/how/60916-fix-rebuild-combo-switch-low-high-beam-headlamp-switch.html

http://www.3geez.com/forum/how/77873-fix-rebuild-combo-switch-windshield-wiper-switch-cleaning-rebuild.html

lostforawhile
11-18-2014, 09:18 PM
the switch contacts get burned on low beam, common issue on these cars, search russian kids posts I think his how to on fixing this still exists, and I think the pictures still work

lostforawhile
11-18-2014, 09:21 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/how/60916-fix-rebuild-combo-switch-low-high-beam-headlamp-switch.html

DLC
11-19-2014, 03:58 AM
I just replaced the combo switch a couple of weeks ago with a brand new one from Honda. The wiper switch was worn out on the old one and the wipers would turn on all the time while driving down the road. I guess it's possible but this is the last thing I was going to check.

DLC
11-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Oddly enough they are working fine today.

lostforawhile
11-19-2014, 02:27 PM
there is a big maxi fuse in the underhood fuse box, it feeds the combination switch, where it's split into fuses for the four main headlights, the parking lights, dash lights etc, is everything going out, or just the low beams? check the simple stuff first, make sure the combination switch plug is fully plugged in etc. if you can verify the switch is good, then it has to be internal to the fuse box under the dash. if there was an issue with the main headlight fuse, everything would go out, related to lights

DLC
11-19-2014, 02:33 PM
With the headlight switch on, the headlights pop up but don't work on high or low beam until you pull back to flash. As soon as you let go, the high beams go out. All the other lights work including the instrument panel.

lostforawhile
11-19-2014, 03:38 PM
power comes into the switch from the underhood fusible link, it passes through the fuse box, and then into the plug for the combination switch, and then straight into the switch, so if neither the low or high beams work, but the parking lights do, then the issue has to be in the switch, the power to the parking lights, headlight fuses, is split at the actual switch, were the lights working before you changed the switch?

lostforawhile
11-19-2014, 03:49 PM
the reason your flash to pass switch works, is it's a separate contact within the switch, when you pull it back, it sends power through the red/blue wire into the high beam circuit, pull it further back and it clicks into high beam, the fact that the high beams flash, says there is power on the white wire,feeding the switch, and the fuses for the high beams are good. if fuse 6 and fuse 7 are good, but no low beams, then the issue has to be internal to the switch

DLC
11-19-2014, 06:06 PM
were the lights working before you changed the switch?

As far as I know, I can't remember for sure if I even drove it at night before I changed the combo switch. I've only had the car on the road for a short while.

Dr_Snooz
11-19-2014, 07:04 PM
I just replaced the combo switch a couple of weeks ago with a brand new one from Honda.

Whew! What'd that set you back? Probably could have bought a brand new Accord for cheaper. It'd be a real bummer if it was defective. I'd open it up to find out, then take pics and post a rant thread for everyone here.

lostforawhile
11-19-2014, 09:01 PM
if you arent sure if it's the switch you need to get the meter out and start verifying, since the high beams work on flash to pass, you know current is making it from the fusible link,through the heavy white wire into the switch, and back through the switch,through the fuses, and to the headlights, that also verifies the ground at the headlights is good, as both high and low beam use the same common ground. where is your old switch? plug it in and see if the headlights work,

lostforawhile
11-19-2014, 09:03 PM
are you sure it's the right switch? the last time I checked they were no longer available, one from a 2nd gen lude or a civic may fit in and loo the same, but be pinned different, I've heard but never verified that some early civics used almost the exact same switch

DLC
11-20-2014, 03:46 AM
According to the interwebs, it is the correct part. I lucked up and found it on ebay, in the original box for $60 shipped. It is working again so maybe it was just a fluke, hoping anyway.

http://supratrucks.com/pictures/Misc/headlight%20switch.jpg

Oldblueaccord
11-20-2014, 04:38 AM
Id check the headlight ground it maybe corroded. I think its near the headlight buckets under the hood.

Hopefully it has not over heated the new combo switch already. If you leave the back panel of it off you can feel the connection when your running your headlights to see how hot its getting.

lostforawhile
11-20-2014, 02:35 PM
check the headlight grounds, but since the high beams come on in flash to pass, then it's probably ok, both the low beam and high beam share the ground at the bulb

firefighterwhite89
12-12-2014, 11:22 AM
I had this same issue one cold night and somehow after the car cranked back up, I tried again and they worked. I noticed my blower fan has the same issue. If it doesn't work, try turning your key a tiny bit without engaging the starter and see if it starts working. I think my ignition switch is knocking on heavens door. Lol