PDA

View Full Version : seeking opinions on potential wheel purchase

derolph
11-21-2014, 01:18 PM
I've been shopping for wheels and tires and would like to get some opinions on a particular wheel sold by a local NTB store. See the attached photo. The rendering of the car in this photo looks identical to my 88 LX-i Coupe.

niles
11-21-2014, 05:38 PM
I love that wheel style! I got BBS off Craigslist for cheap though. Please just be weary of knockoffs, they're dangerous

What size are you going to get?

derolph
11-21-2014, 06:53 PM
I doubt the wheels in the photo are knockoffs. They are Konig brand, a known brand, and are sold by NTB (National Tire & Battery), a known retailer. I believe NTB is a division of Big 0 Tires, which you are probably familiar with in Portland. This is indicated by Big O Tires - Locations in California, Utah, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Arizona and more (http://www.bigotires.com/Locations)

I have only looked for 14" wheels. Going to a larger size will increase the cost of both wheels and tires, so I'm inclined to stick with the OEM size.

niles
11-22-2014, 05:34 PM
I got new tires for my 3gee today with 15 inch rims. It was a little over $400 for decent tires

derolph
11-22-2014, 08:21 PM
I'm curious about what brand and specific product you bought.

niles
11-23-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm curious about what brand and specific product you bought.
I've not heard of the brand before: Road Hugger. They're all season with a 60k mile warranty, 195 - 55 - 15 size. The tread pattern is pretty regular, they don't have the "street racer" tread pattern if that makes any sense. I got em from Americas Tire, they suggested them for handling water better which is needed in the NorthWest winters.

Edit: forgot to mention that they're really quiet on the highway and I hit a huge puddle today on the freeway and the car held strong with no hydroplane.

derolph
11-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I have not heard of that brand either, but it sounds like they were a good choice. I have a sister who lives in Portland, so I can somewhat relate to your comments about NorthWest winters.