PDA

View Full Version : stiffin the rear suspention

Mantis88LX
12-20-2002, 03:19 PM
how can i stiffin up my rear suspention without getting new springs, im running on tokico 1'' drop springs with 1 coil cut off all around, it is about a 2 finger gape in my fender wells.
i want to stiffin the rear because when i launch it feels like it shifts to the back to much and doesnt hook up like i want.
can i get those spring booster things that u put in between the springs to raise it a little? i dont really want to raise the rear much i just want it to be stiffer and not as soft.

thanx

anchovies
12-20-2002, 09:38 PM
Get a wheelie bar :D
This is the problem with FWD cars. Stiff springs at the rear can counter the problem somewhat but you didn't want that.

Jims 86LXI HB
12-20-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
how can i stiffin up my rear suspention without getting new springs, im running on tokico 1'' drop springs with 1 coil cut off all around, it is about a 2 finger gape in my fender wells.
i want to stiffin the rear because when i launch it feels like it shifts to the back to much and doesnt hook up like i want.
can i get those spring booster things that u put in between the springs to raise it a little? i dont really want to raise the rear much i just want it to be stiffer and not as soft.

thanx

What your experiencing is another example of what happens when you run weak struts with stiffer lowering springs. Stiffer rear springs would help but only mask the problem. Before I installed my koni's I to noticed excessive weight transfer or "rear end dip" when I launched the car and between gear shift's. The koni's, greatly deminished this. It also greatly improved my avaliabe traction off the line. Another thing that is working against you overall, is that the tokico lowering springs have one of the highest front spring rates with one of the lower rear rates, though the rear rates are no where near as lower as eibachs. So add that to that the lack of proper spring control by the struts and your have the reason's for the problem. The spring boster thing isn't going to be a solution, it'll change the free working range of the rear springs and may cause you to lose control if you encounter a severe enough bump during a corner since you may not have the compliance to absorb that bump.