PDA

View Full Version : car stutters (need some quick answers)

goldyaccord
12-20-2002, 03:24 PM
I have no emmissions, no choke.

No matter how much i adjust the mixture screw i cant seem to get that stumble to go away. I'm putting in new bosch 4+ plugs in. The stock ones were never changed. this is on a 40,000 mile motor. with every stumble my tach drops almost a 100 rpms and recovers.

will putting the new plugs in help?

I'm leaving for oregon tommorrow morning so, i just wanna see if i can get that stumble to go away.

Josh

A20A1
12-20-2002, 03:45 PM
Did you return the mixture screw to the original position?
did you adjust the throttle stop screw and remove the idle diaphragm from the left side of the carb?
did you plug all vaccum ports except the powervalve, brake booster, and ignition advance line(s) to the distributor?

goldyaccord
12-20-2002, 03:59 PM
I removed the choke and the idle diagram. it all came off as one becuase i didnt wanna mess with the linkages.

Distributor lines are hooked. power valve is hooked. (line coming from the distributor and brake booster).

the gas vent port isnt plugged (the one that goes to the vapor canister.)

as for the mixture screw. I dont now what the original setting was but i adjusted it tighter and it would lower the rpms and stumble more. I also adjusted adjusted it from tight to all the way out and the stumble still comes but not as much.

No matter what setting the Mixture screw is, the stumble wont go away. or purr smoothly.. it just hickups.

A20A1
12-20-2002, 04:03 PM
well turning it in would lean out the mixture.

plug the vapor canister port.
also you need to use a gasket to plug a small internal vacuum line if you removed the choke puller.

A20A1
12-20-2002, 04:10 PM
the red arrow points to the choke puller that was cut. If you reinstall it in it's entirety you don't need to plug the internal hole... only the 2 ports on the side.

I cut it to save space... I cut a gasket to the size I needed and made a hole for the lower screw that held the choke puller to the carb.

goldyaccord
12-20-2002, 04:28 PM
The inside port that u mentioned is not plugged. the whole thing is off and the port is exposing the small circle rubber gasket.

would that be the problem?

whats the recommendation of turns from all the way in to balance out the mixture? Would i know when it's purring at the exhaust instead of popping?

I'll stick something on the port mentioned. I may just saw a piece off and screw the piece back on.

Josh

A20A1
12-20-2002, 04:45 PM
well when you block off the port when you stick it back on... don't use that clay like metal hardening stuff... it might break off and clog a internal line, use a paper gasket.

and yes that is a problem.

umm as for the # of turns. try 4 - 8

goldyaccord
12-20-2002, 04:47 PM
Okay, I'll do that.

Thanks for helping me on such a short notice

:) :bow:

89accordboi
12-23-2002, 12:31 PM
A20A1 is a sexy beast :tongue:

ACCORD EX
12-24-2002, 05:50 AM