PDA

View Full Version : Battery Relocation Kit Installation Q's

1987HondaAccord
12-21-2002, 01:19 PM
Yo!

I was installing the battery relocation kit from summit racing, but i have a few questions. First off, how do i attach the positive cable in the engine compartment? Second, Is it ok if i use some WD40 to get the cable through the gromet into the engin compartment?
Next, where should i attach the ground cable in the trunk. Is it ok to slip it through the holes in the frame and then drill a hole in the frame just behind the wheel? I dont want to insulation to melt too much, so i dont want it to be too close to the muffler. Another general question is how do attach the connector to the end of the 2 gauge wire? can i use a pair of pliars of should i get a friend to weld it on?

Thanks for your help!!

1987HondaAccord
12-21-2002, 03:22 PM
is anyone reading this?

dXsquared
12-21-2002, 04:11 PM
i read it... the main power supply goes to the fuse box... i dont remember what the conection looked like, but thats where it goes and for the ground, just make sure it issnt tooo close to the pipe... like 6 inches... and the WD 40 is ok to use. for ther conection, weld would be ok, i have never heard of doin this, but if the wire strands are not very fine, go for it...

Travis

2old_honda
12-21-2002, 04:36 PM
the positive cable goes to two places, a smaller one goes to the fuse box (the one in the engine bay) and the larger one goes to the starter. For the best ground connection you will need to drill a hole in the sheet metal on the floor of the trunk. Try to keep the ground connection close to the battery. you do not need to make the ground connection outside of the trunk or under the car, the sheet metal in the spare tire well and surrounding areas is the best. also make sure to sand down the paint to bare metal under the connection so the electricity can flow. for the wire connetor you should use a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to pound a line down the middle. then beat it some more with just the hammer.

oldsub86
12-21-2002, 09:36 PM
You could solder the terminal to the end of the wire if you don't have a crimper big enough.

Johnny O
12-24-2002, 06:48 PM
Make sure all wires running through the metal has a grommet.Ground to a seatbelt bolt but make sure sand down paint.Connector for wire a stereo installer should has ones that are big enough.I put a dist. block in engine compartment ant conneted all wires that were on the postive post of the battery.

Tim Yoak
12-24-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by 1987HondaAccord
Yo!

I was installing the battery relocation kit from summit racing, but i have a few questions. First off, how do i attach the positive cable in the engine compartment? Second, Is it ok if i use some WD40 to get the cable through the gromet into the engin compartment?
Next, where should i attach the ground cable in the trunk. Is it ok to slip it through the holes in the frame and then drill a hole in the frame just behind the wheel? I dont want to insulation to melt too much, so i dont want it to be too close to the muffler. Another general question is how do attach the connector to the end of the 2 gauge wire? can i use a pair of pliars of should i get a friend to weld it on?

Thanks for your help!! The best way to do this is to run the heavy wire directly to the starter,then run a smaller wire from the starter terminal to the ring terminal connector in the fusebox. I believe it has to be 10 gauge. please be careful if you make a mistake here you could end up with a pile of ashes and four rims. if you are not sure ask someone for help. I am going to pm mail you my email adress, if you have a question ask me.