PDA

View Full Version : Auto Cruise Removed now REALY high idle. Lines capped.

calicrewchief
12-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Hello folks.
I'm working on a friends 86 DX Accord trying to get it to idle correctly. This car is completely new to me so bear with me. I'm mostly familiar with EFI.
The car ran and idled fine before he, for whatever reason decided he didn't want the auto cruise unit. So he removed it. Where he left off is all the unplugged vacuum lines going to it have been capped. I spent hours trying to find a vacuum leak but never found one. I have the diagrams and checked it that way as well.

Problem
When you start the car the revs go straight to about 4k and very slowly climb. The choke is fully open during this and when I physically try to close it, there is a lot of resistance. When I do this it slowly starves the engine. So I'm guessing that the choke isn't receiving the correct vacuum for idle?

I only assumed that the disconnected lines need to be capped, but maybe I'm wrong? Should I leave the electrical connector connected to the solenoid?

I also found this guy hanging next to where the auto cruise used to be that has two connections for vacuum that I couldn't find anywhere in the FSM that says what it is. Anyone know? Is this causing my problem?
Thanks for any help guys. Go easy on me if this is an obvious problem. :banned:
Matt

Dr_Snooz
12-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Are you sure it isn't just the butterfly hanging up? If you find out what's keeping the choke from closing, you'll probably find what's making the idle high too.

calicrewchief
12-05-2014, 08:09 AM
I double checked the butterflys and they are operating smoothly.

I finally got it to idle at about 2k and for about 1.5 min it idled fine. Then out all of a sudden it dies. I start it up again and the RPMs shoot back up to 5k+! Something is opening the primary and secondary a bit when it does this. If I hold the close during start-up, the RPMs stabilize.
The choke is operating correctly as well. I haven't verified exactly what temp the engine is at when it dies. I'm directing my attention now to the idle control and the solenoids that are plumbed into that circuit. The owner claims he never messed with those components or the carburetor.

calicrewchief
12-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Just found this. I'll have to look into.