PDA

View Full Version : One scoop or two

3rdGenMartyr
12-22-2002, 09:44 AM
I want to add a functional hood scoop to the car above the ream air intake, but it will be off center, and im worried about it looking gay as hell, any help, ideas, links would be helpful fellas

Mantis88LX
12-22-2002, 10:05 AM
2 on each side, like this....... http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL96/785168/1381318/17120481.jpg

see were he has a scoop on the left? put another on the right and that would look sweet.

3rdGenMartyr
12-22-2002, 11:24 AM
i think the single scoop looks good, actually thats what i wanted to do, but didnt know how it would look, thanks man

Mike's89AccordLX
12-22-2002, 12:50 PM
Whos car is that? That is badass. Where did you buy that hood scoop. I want to get one right away. That just looks so sweet. Post or PM me.

wckdonex
12-22-2002, 06:00 PM
tht car is for sale on ebay right now!!!!

Toby
12-22-2002, 06:00 PM
that car looks sweet

Toby
12-22-2002, 06:04 PM
it is awsome to have a functional hood scoop the filter gets lots of cooler air but what do you do if it rain?? that is the only thing stoping me of getting a functional hood scoop.

johndej
12-22-2002, 07:21 PM
well, the car up there was built for show, so that guy doesn't have toworry about rain. oh, if you want info on his shit check around, he just joined and stuff has been floating around about 3 days

Defiant[YD]
12-23-2002, 01:26 PM
for rain, snow, etc ....
don't u just attach a bypass valve to ur intake? should eliminate the water going into ur engine right?

Mike's89AccordLX
12-23-2002, 06:32 PM
What's the guys 3Geez name? I want that hood scoop.

Bullfrog
12-23-2002, 08:57 PM
yea i would like to know how to keep the water out cuz that would look tight like that or if you had the schoop and the raised hood for turbo would look sweet....but the main concern is water....any other sugestions besides bypass valve

3rdGenMartyr
12-24-2002, 09:21 PM
the bypass valve is the only thing that i know of that will keep water out of your intake

Tim Yoak
12-26-2002, 06:31 PM
what is wrong with pulling air from inside the fender like oem? maby a bigger intake but the air from inside the wheel well is cool and protected from rain.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-26-2002, 08:29 PM
Too much restriction if you leave it with the stock tubes. Now if you do the Civic true CAI then it'd be ok. I'm just buying that weber intake and putting a hood scoop right over the filter. I'm making a box out of plexi-glass to go over the filter for the winter and rainy season.

HondaBoy
12-26-2002, 10:30 PM
i say go wit 1 scoop. im gonna do that. i can get one from JCW.com for like $20. its gonna be abs plasic so i can also paint it to match my car when i get it painted. get the one just like the orange or red car above. looks like a turbo scoop that ive seen on a civic. get it. dont wait!!! it will look great.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-26-2002, 10:36 PM
I forgot to check www.jcw.com for hood scoops thanks
Hondaboy

Project-LXi
12-27-2002, 11:29 AM
I think that guy's name on the board is IntegraAccord or something like that. He was selling that car on ebay. If I had the money, Id buy it since he lives very close to me.

3rdGenMartyr
12-28-2002, 09:09 PM
i havent searched very hard, but i can only find alot of big scoops, that are way expensive, can someone direct me to a smaller scoop please

Tim Yoak
12-30-2002, 05:45 PM
jc whitney, just look under appearance and look at the dimensions of the scoop

87Hybrid
12-30-2002, 06:38 PM
A bypass valve will not stop water from getting into your intake with a scoupe. A bypass valve works on vachume if you have a filter mounted low in the engine compartment and hit a big puddle then the filter startts to fill with water and ccreats the vachume presure (Or lack there of) to increase to the point that the bypass valve opens. In the Sport compact car test on these they tested the valve on an NSX on a dyno at different speeds using a clear lexan intake tube that they dunked into a 5 gallon bucket of water. at 6000 rpm's the vachume inthe tube still heltd the water at about the top of the fender with the valve open. If your intake tube is running flat even with your TB then the tube will never get enough water in it at one time to pop the valve and just let a stream of water run along the bottom of it into your engine. This isnt as bad as it sounds though you would probably have to run a water hose over your filter to get enough water going in to cause hydrolocking. Most of the water from a rain storm would just get burned away. In the old days with dirty running carburated engines we used to pour eater into the carburator at 2500 RPM's to clean the carbon off of the valves. You will need to fill the cylinder uo withenough water to make the piston stop, around 1/2 a cup in the cylinder durring one revolution.

RedneckRicer
12-30-2002, 11:10 PM
isn't that just a nissan hood scoop? out of a ZX, i think its a 300zx, i worked on one that had a scoop or two like that at least

If you're looking for scoops, i'd say this is the site.....

http://www.teamprototype.com/

3rdGenMartyr
12-31-2002, 01:00 AM
i plan on making a removable seal around the scoop outlet under the hood to close off the weather when it starts acting up, or maybe one at the inlet now that i think about it, to stop water from getting trapped in the scoop

i just think a short tube, and a scoop will be better than a long cold air pipe running to the fender, if i could get two pipes on the throttle body i would make some awesome ram air

Tim Yoak
12-31-2002, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by 3rdGenMartyr
i plan on making a removable seal around the scoop outlet under the hood to close off the weather when it starts acting up, or maybe one at the inlet now that i think about it, to stop water from getting trapped in the scoop

i just think a short tube, and a scoop will be better than a long cold air pipe running to the fender, if i could get two pipes on the throttle body i would make some awesome ram air At most sane speeds the ram air effect is so slight it wouldn't even be worth the effort even on american cars with giant v8s and factory designed systems the horsepower increase is maby 4 horsepower, on one of our cars it might be two.

87Hybrid
12-31-2002, 09:28 AM
At most sane speeds the ram air effect is so slight it wouldn't even be worth the effort even on american cars with giant v8s and factory designed systems the horsepower increase is maby 4 horsepower, on one of our cars it might be two.

This is true,

3rdGenMartyr
12-31-2002, 09:48 PM
but just having the intake adds a couple of horses (although minimal) to our car, so if it just adds 4 ponies to the wheels at high speed who cares, i dont run 110 mph all the time

besides, ram air with a scoop seems to be just as good as cold air if not better, since theres less distance to travel to the throttle body, and it will be just as cool as if you were pulling it out of the fender well or from under the car

plus its alot cheaper to do, and readily avaliable almost anywhere

Swan
01-07-2003, 03:26 PM
I think I saw that car on cardomain.com.....and I was like "whoa....shweet!" or it may have been when I was just starting to search for ideas for my car