PDA

View Full Version : CV Joints? Axles? What??

Nospeed
12-22-2002, 12:06 PM
ok, everytime i turn the car left 90 degrees and am accelerating, it thumps, but when i let off the gas, it stops... now, since i guess it has gotten worse, it sounds like the brakes are rubbing on the rotors, but they arent. when i press the brakes, it dont stop, and the steering wheel shakes a little.i can drive it around 60-65 and not have the car shake at all, but when i take it up to 70-75, it shakes every now and then....does this sound like my cv joints? or my axles are shot?? thanks guys...

njpeter
12-22-2002, 12:52 PM
if they are torn, I'd say repalce the CV joint/axel..sounds stupid but jack it up and check the wheel bearings and lugs.

Nospeed
12-22-2002, 12:59 PM
ok...well, i have no idea what the boots look like... ive never had to deal with them, so i dont know what im looking for. is it the black shifter-boot looking thing on the axle?? if its that, ive already checked that, there is no tears on that thing, and there is nothing leaking from it. and as far as the wheel bearings...um, help me out on that too...lol.

Nospeed
12-22-2002, 03:20 PM
^bump^

really need help on this guys...:sadwave:

Jims 86LXI HB
12-22-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Nospeed
^bump^

really need help on this guys...:sadwave:

Jack the front end of the car off the ground and remove the left front tire. Examine both cv axle boot's real closely for rips and tear's. Also look for sign's of thick axle grease splatter that might have been thrown by that cv joint. I recommend rotating the brake rotor by hand to spin the axle's to get a 360 degree look at the boot's and use you hands to see if you can find any hidden tears. If you find nothing, repeat on the other side.

Nospeed
12-22-2002, 04:58 PM
ok, if you remember, i had to replace my radiator a couple weeks back, and i was under there to check everything out. if the cv boot is the black 'shift-boot' looking thing on the axle, ive already looked, there is no tears, or rips, it almost looks brand new (not much dirt, new looking clamp) i checked that 360 degrees, and felt it also...nothing. could it be something else other than the cv joint/boot??

EDIT>>> i checked both sides, cause i didnt know what one was making the noise...

anchovies
12-22-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Nospeed
ok, everytime i turn the car left 90 degrees and am accelerating, it thumps, but when i let off the gas, it stops...

okie you really mean "thump, thump, thump" or "tick, tick, tick"?
Does the sound goes up with speed?
And it only happens when you turn ON ACCELERATION? How about decelerating while turning?

ACCORD EX
12-23-2002, 08:17 AM
i really can't get ! does only make sound while turning , or when cruising ? or both ????

MIKE

socal3rdgen
12-23-2002, 08:35 AM
i have the same problem that i asked you guys before. i think he means when he goes to turn and lets say you hit a bump like going up a inlcine to your drive way. it make a low toned thumping soun.d my guess is be cuase there is little weight on the turn that is turning. so it is allowed to make that sound becasue it doesnt have enough pressure on the whole assemply allowing for movement when you hit the inclined pavement. now i no absolutly nothing about suspension. so this is just therotical. but yes when i go higher then 60-65 my car feels like its on a bumpy road even though the road was ust freshly paved and i have ridden on it when my car wasnt fucked at it was normally smooth.

Nospeed
12-23-2002, 12:22 PM
ok...when i make a turn from an intersection, it thumps....not ticks...but thumps. this only happens if i am accelerating through the turn; if i coast through it, it dont happen; it also dont happen if i am slowing (in gear) through the turn either. and it dont matter if im on an incline either...dont matter at all, it still happens.

now as far as the squishy-grinding sound, i dont know...no matter what speed i am going, it is still there. if i am going slow (low in 1st) it is kind of a squishy-grinding sound. if i go faster, it speeds up. if i am going 65-70, the steering wheel shakes, and the whole car shakes like the wheel is only on with 1 lug. i dont know...i need to fix this...just wondering if you all know about this...thanks.

anchovies
12-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Okie 1st problem sounds like you're bottoming out (maybe?). What size tires and suspension are you running?

2nd problem is most definitely your brakes? Just put car on jack stands and turn the wheels. Try to hear for the sound. Check your brake pads and rotors. Does your steering also shake when you step on the brakes? Maybe your rims are out of balance.
hth

Nospeed
12-23-2002, 01:41 PM
i cant be bottoming out, ask bobafett...my car is stock. havnt screwed with the suspension at all.

the second problem isnt my brakes...i jacked it up last night, turned the wheel, and it aint coming from the rotors or the pads...i dont know where the hell it is coming from...it sounds like it is back behind the rotor and the caliper, behind all that stuff.

Nospeed
12-23-2002, 02:04 PM
Jim!!! need help!!!

anchovies
12-23-2002, 02:22 PM
it thumps, as it "thump thump thump"? Or just a thump? :D

Maybe it's just a bent guard shield.

Nospeed
12-23-2002, 02:35 PM
yeah, it is a thump thump thump....all the way through the turn till i straighten out.

socal3rdgen
12-23-2002, 02:46 PM
have you tried to lift your wheel in the air then push it from up to down then side to side. and see if it has play

Nospeed
12-23-2002, 02:47 PM
havnt tried that...what does it mean if it has play??