PDA

View Full Version : Squealing from....somewhere

AccordLX-i87
05-19-2002, 06:16 PM
Every once in a while when i turn on my car it squeals....and just last night it started squealing when i was driving....i called the place that had just put in a timing belt and they said that it wasnt the timing belt....what else could it be???:confused:

87accordlxi
05-19-2002, 06:35 PM
power steering belt

offthahook
05-19-2002, 10:01 PM
Altnator belt.

ACCORD EX
05-20-2002, 12:17 AM
any belt could so that ! when does it do that when cold or when hot ? when rev high ? :)

MIKE

YK86
05-20-2002, 01:14 AM
Where is it coming from?? It could also be worn out bearings in the water pump, wheel bearing, etc.

Bullfrog
05-20-2002, 02:44 AM
there was another post about this somewhere i dont have the link....i have the same thing happen to me... all of my belts are tight, just a little play in them....it sucks cuz it always squeals for no reason at all...but its only when its cold cuz if i rev the engine some it goes away...i will try to find the link to the other post cuz i asked this question before.....good luck and if anyone else has any ideas as of what is causing this very embarasing sqeal please let us know:rolleyes:

:chainsaw:

DBMaster
05-20-2002, 09:53 AM
I had the same thing on mine. The thing would screech every time I started it cold. Turned out to be the alternator/water pump belt. It's got to be pretty tight (very little play). Unles the P/S belt is oily it's probably not that because it has very little load on it when the car is first started.

I even went to the trouble of pulling my alternator and having it tested at a local alternator rebuilder. I will still occasionally hear l littel squeal if I go through a big puddle on the left side of the car, but I have made it as tight as I can live with. making it TOO tight will wear out the alternator bearing.

Don87LX
05-20-2002, 10:03 AM
If you get your belts wet, they will sqeual until they are dry, such is the way the world works.

But if it is squealing while dry they could just be worn out even if they are right.

ACCORD EX
05-20-2002, 10:45 AM
if it squeels in cold and if you rev it high and it goes ! so the same thing happened to me ! and it was the damn timing belt ! the damn mechanic changed it in a wrong way ! don't know what but th eother mechanic just took it off and did the job from the start 1 !!

MIKE

Jdub07
05-20-2002, 01:51 PM
Look for cracks also check to see if they are warped. I had warped belts that caused all kinds of problems, guessing from the amount of maintanance that went into my car before I got her I wasn't that surprised. If I remember right one belt was for another car all together.

bobafett
05-21-2002, 08:57 AM
if i am just sitting there, and i turn the wheel, i can hear a sqeal, but that usually only when the car is cold, if it has been running for a while, havent noticed the noise..

so I would assume it is the power steering belt as well... since i havent noticed a noise like that if i am not turning the wheel

POS carb
05-21-2002, 11:07 AM
if it's the p/s belt the wheel will jerk or get stuck the instant the squealing starts, otherwise I'd put my $ on the alternator/water pump belt. It can also be your A/C belt, don't overlook that

TeKKnoTeKK
05-21-2002, 11:20 AM
another thing you can try doin is spraying wd40 on one belt at a time....when you spray one and the squeaking stops thats the one. I don't know how good it is for your belts to put wd40 on em but I do it all the time and it definetly helps :D

ACCORD EX
05-22-2002, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK
another thing you can try doin is spraying wd40 on one belt at a time....when you spray one and the squeaking stops thats the one. I don't know how good it is for your belts to put wd40 on em but I do it all the time and it definetly helps :D

man is it ok to spray WD40 on it !? won't that make it more slippy ! ?? :rolleyes:

MIKE

Don87LX
05-22-2002, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK

I may not be a mechanic but this definatly sounds like bad mojo to me.

1988starter
05-22-2002, 08:18 AM
snap makes a spray to stop belt squealing

CoAsTeR
05-22-2002, 07:24 PM
DO NOT SPRAY BELTS WITH WD40 UNLESS YOU REALLY HATE YOUR CAR. It will only cause em' to slip and squeal more.

Just tighten your belts, only take a bit of time.

Perhaps the mouse running around in the little wheel is just hungry, thats why its squealing. 1HP.... 1 Hampster Power.