PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan

Nate2310
12-23-2002, 11:02 AM
the other night i noticed my temp gauge was getting kind of high so I stopped and shut my car down, then I started it up and turned on my a/c. then it went back down:huh:

I think that the fan wasn't turning on and when i turned on my a/c that it made it start working am I right?

will this be a problem and how do I fix it?

bobafett
12-23-2002, 11:07 AM
hm, i have heard that the AC would make the temp go down. try the fuses for the fans... thats all that was keeping my fans from coming on! :) cheap fix! but do a search, and you will find a LOT of posts on this subject. i know i have started at least a few!

markmdz89hatch
12-23-2002, 11:14 AM
honestly, for 10bux, and 15 minutes, pick up a thermostat and new gasket and replace it. See if that helps. It worked wonders for me. Even if it's not that, it's one less thing you'll have to worry about next year, and it's only 10 bones.

Lester Lugnut
12-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Thermostat is certainly a possibility, but if you suspect the cooling fans.....

Let the car sit overnight. Start it up and let it idle in Neutral if std. transmission or Park if automatic. Let it idle for 20-30 mins. depending on the ambient temp., it may take 20-30 mins before it's warm enough to activate the cooling fans. Be sure A/C is off when you are doing this.

After about 30 mins(assuming you're not in Minnesota, Michigan or other REALLY cold place), the fans should have come on at least once. If not, I'd suspect a cooling temp sensor. Some engines have more than one.

The fans are being activated when the A/C is cycled on because there's a pressure sensor in your A/C systems receiver/dryer that activates the fans when the A/C is on. Once again, there's another sensor that's pure temp. related. It may be your problem.

rocky2
12-24-2002, 07:14 AM
Change thermostat as stated above. You can verify its need by idleing engine till gauge says its hot ,then feel radiator hoses they "both" should be warm/hot....if the lower one isn't ...........=thermostat

Johnny O
12-24-2002, 06:52 PM
If not thermostat, there is a temp. senor on the bottom of the radiator.