PDA

View Full Version : top whp of your 3g accord

3genaccord
05-19-2002, 06:50 PM
what the top whp of everyone on the boards 3 gen accord, just checking to see how far I can push mine.

carotman
05-19-2002, 07:03 PM
well, I should be good for an easy 100 with the stock internals on an A20A1 (low compression)

with some porting and high compression pistons... maybe 120 or 130.... why not 140 :)

If you go turbo.. you could go above 200 whp for sure.

3genaccord
05-19-2002, 07:26 PM
I have a 3g hatch with a 89 a20a1 engine and its very impressive but I havn't ran any tests on it yet. the car is so far a two year project was completely stripped and painted porch red(eveything including black parts) . it was originally a dx hatch but we put the 89 lxi engine, ran all the fuel injection stuff , and changed the complete dashboard. so far I have a arospeed intake, custon lip made from old crx fron lips (no flares) complete msd ignition, 2.5 custon exhaust tubing,flowmaster muffler,changed all engine seals and gaskets, platinum +4 spark plugs, just did the timing, upgraded the radiator, did a acura legend alternator conversion(for the huge sytem I'm going to put in and car seems more powerful), pacesetter ceramic headers coming next week. I havn't done any cam or gear work exept that I am running an lx trans instead of a lxi(is there any difference). so far I am veery inpressed, my car rev limiter kicks in at about 7200rpm (regular computer) and my centerforce clutch does not give out, not to mention the incredible tire spin in 1st and second gear with a little screech in 3rd while turning 17" racing hart f24's with 205/40/zr 17!!!! I'm running on coilovers and I did a complete camber and caster correction at miami chasis, and I have about a 3 in drop in the front and 2.5 in the back(coilovers) But my wheels are copletely straight. so far I've done the engine bay and interior in red and black with a little bit of yellow(looks great)
I'll post picture soon you guys are going to like this(non ricer).:super:

3genaccord
05-19-2002, 07:36 PM
future mods include a turbo, highcompression pistons, no engine swap ive already fallen in love with this strong cast iron block,also i havn't done the h4 headlamp conversion(minor),disc brakes with crossdrilled rotors all arould(next month). still have in the a/c miami is kinda hot without it, might come out eventually if I am not satisfied. may seem a little out of reach but I want this car to run 13's or 14's before i put in the big system then i'll be completely satisfied.:super:

CARBurn
05-19-2002, 07:46 PM
I didn't know you could fit an alternator from an Legend, how neat.

If you have an 89 LX-i engine your engine code should be A20A3. All carbs in the U.S. should have A20A1 code. FI 3G's in the U.S. should have A20A3 for the engine code.

marc49
05-19-2002, 07:46 PM
If you're going turbo, I think you want to stay away from high compression pistons. I think the lower compression the better when it comes to turbo.

3genaccord
05-19-2002, 08:39 PM
my bad my engine is an a20a3(had to go outside and double check) how could I make such a silly mistake. You can do the legend alternator swap, I think it is the 88 but you have to take the pulley from the original alternator(pics coming soon):stick:

3genaccord
05-19-2002, 08:46 PM
why the low compression pistons,I thought the whole idea was to get higher compression. Does anyone know if the ratios for the lx trans is different fron the lxi.(you could tell I just supply the money and I'm not the head mechanic, but before I started this project I knew nothing, now I do almost everything myself):smokin:

1988starter
05-20-2002, 04:20 AM
What centerforce clutch do you have I just got my dual friction in the mail a few days ago.

88LXi68
05-20-2002, 04:57 AM
You may want to get a 2nd Gen Prelude Tranny.

1988starter
05-20-2002, 05:16 AM
high compression = Low boost
low compression = high boost
or else you will blow your engine.

guaynabo89
05-20-2002, 07:47 AM
What do you mean by upgraded radiator?

Hoshizakido
05-20-2002, 09:26 AM
like instead of the plastic pile of junk the car came with i have an aluminum radiator

n88accordLX-i
05-20-2002, 02:52 PM
you can chirp in 3rd in just about any car if you know how to drive, my friend did it in his 2.8 s-10 and another kid did it in his civic dx

A20A1
05-20-2002, 06:56 PM
Yeah use the pistons the raise the compression or use the turbo the raise the compression... or use a mixture of both... as long as you don't reach the limits of the engine parts and the gas you are using then boost away.

88LXiHB
05-20-2002, 08:21 PM
I thought that for a turbo you'd need to go low compression pistons...Atmospheric pressure is roughly 14 psi (14.7 psi=1 BAR of boost) so even if your plan on running 7psi, you are pushing 50% more in you engine. With low compression pistons you can fit more air in the combustion chamber(safely), of course more AIR, spark, and fuel=more HP. With high compression pistons would'nt the head want to separate from the block(at moderate boost)??

Hoshizakido
05-20-2002, 08:50 PM
chirping into third has nuthin ta do with how your drivin ok maybe a little. it is the amount of torque and the shittyness of the tires.

3genaccord
05-20-2002, 09:14 PM
I also have the dual friction centerforce, works nice. Would the second generation prelude tranny bolt on to the a20a3 and would it be worth the swap.

AccordSi
05-22-2002, 12:17 PM
I'd like to believe that my car has about 140+ at the wheels....I could be wrong though.

A20A1
05-22-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by AccordSi
I'd like to believe that my car has about 140+ at the wheels....I could be wrong though.

(A20A1, Reads the mods in AccordSi's sig)
Stop showing off... :stick: :crying: :bow: :p :lol

AccordSi
05-22-2002, 09:21 PM
Hahahaha....That's good A20A1.
To tell the truth, I'm real jealous of that hood scoop you got there though. I want one.

3rd GEN
05-22-2002, 11:08 PM
hey 3genaccod!!!

welcome man..

so did you do an EFi swap??

like from carb to fuel-injection???

how big of a job was it?? and if so.. where would you suggest getting this type of work done.. How much did it run you to do that job??

the reason I ask.. cuz my car is carbed.. and I want efi... so I can do all the shit your doin...

your ride sounds like it's gonna be sweet..
good job man

3genaccord
05-22-2002, 11:34 PM
hey 3rd gen, yes I did do an carb to efi swap(not me the mechanic). the only reason was that I had a 89 lxi coupe, but never got the papers straight, so i ran out of patience and swap everything into the dx hatchback. Too much work, especially having to strip everything out of the car(I hate dashboards),but it was very much worth it. I would recommend you do most of the work yourself, I didn't pay but I think it would cost a prettttty pennny or two..............

anybody know if a second generation prelude tranny would bolt on to my a20a3 and the difference between the lx and lxi tranny?

88LXi68
05-23-2002, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by 3genaccord
anybody know if a second generation prelude tranny would bolt on to my a20a3 and the difference between the lx and lxi tranny?

Yes it olts up look in the FAQ

pric
05-23-2002, 07:17 AM

You should go get your car dynoed I bet it's more like 160 whp.

AccordSi
05-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Would you believe that this f@cking island has only one performance dyno and it's not accessible to the public. At least not yet. I'm not happy about that.

accordSi

n88accordLX-i
05-23-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Hoshizakido
chirping into third has nuthin ta do with how your drivin ok maybe a little. it is the amount of torque and the shittyness of the tires.

ok then explain to me how a stock civic dx with 98lbs of torque with kuhmo ecsta supras is able to chirp in 3rd then.....

3genaccord
05-23-2002, 12:57 PM
a civic dx!!!, seems unheard of, my friend has a 91 si with a integra gs in there(non vtec) and he barely does it, Anyway bet he cant do it on 17's like I can:p

pimping89lxi
05-24-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by 88LXiHB
I thought that for a turbo you'd need to go low compression pistons...Atmospheric pressure is roughly 14 psi (14.7 psi=1 BAR of boost) so even if your plan on running 7psi, you are pushing 50% more in you engine. With low compression pistons you can fit more air in the combustion chamber(safely), of course more AIR, spark, and fuel=more HP. With high compression pistons would'nt the head want to separate from the block(at moderate boost)??

:bandit: For a Turbo you do need Low compression Pistons in order to not Blow your shit up. Generally the higher the Boost that you want to acheive, the lower the compression Piston that you go. With high compression pistons, they will not generally take much boost! Go too low a compression and your car will run like a Geo!! You have to adapt your engine to the right turbo in order for it to work properly and effective! If you dont know what you are doing with a turbo, you will really feel it when you see your engine in peices!!

88LXiHB
05-24-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by pimping89lxi

:bandit: For a Turbo you do need Low compression Pistons in order to not Blow your shit up. Generally the higher the Boost that you want to acheive, the lower the compression Piston that you go. With high compression pistons, they will not generally take much boost! Go too low a compression and your car will run like a Geo!! You have to adapt your engine to the right turbo in order for it to work properly and effective! If you dont know what you are doing with a turbo, you will really feel it when you see your engine in peices!!

Originally posted by 88LXiHB

http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/pat.gif I said that right??

3rd GEN
05-25-2002, 11:37 AM
3genaccord

ok cool.. thanks alot man..
I deff wanna do an efi swap.. cuz I either wanna build my a20 engine or swap in a b16 or teg GSr engine..

but either way i need to do a swap...

I know it can be a big gob.. but i don't have the tools to be doin that kinda stuff my self..

mmmmmm

carotman
05-25-2002, 01:33 PM
160 WHP... this means you have around 200+ hp at the flywheel....

I don't think that the B20A has that kind of power...

Maybe 130 or 135 at the wheels MAX (and on regular rims)

Hoshizakido
05-26-2002, 12:36 AM
n88accordLX-i

only reasons would be

Wet ground or bald tires!

AccordSi
05-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Aww no, Carotman!!! I think my car has about 140hp at the wheels....I would like to push around 200hp at the flywheel one day though....and I'm starting to really believe in the power of forced induction.

accordSi