PDA

View Full Version : Auto shift stick appearance.

Defiant[YD]
12-23-2002, 01:38 PM
kk... i saw this thing on another 3rd gen on some site a couple of days ago.

he had an auto transmission, but he managed to put a boot around the stick to make it look like a standard.

i'm now thinking of doing the same thing! (until i finally get the courage to do an actual 5 speed conversion).
cuz i can buy the auto shift knob which looks like a manual, and if i can get the boot around the stick, it'll look so cool.

any ideas how to get the boot attached?

anchovies
12-23-2002, 01:58 PM
although I don't have an auto and haven't look into an auto 3g closely, I would say just use the console for the manual and just put the boot on. Good luck

dXsquared
12-23-2002, 02:34 PM
cough cough....:rice: cough cough

Travis

socal3rdgen
12-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
cough cough....:rice: cough cough

Travis

agreed

markmdz89hatch
12-23-2002, 04:04 PM
i don't think it's rice. I actually think it looks kinda cool. Personally, if I really wanted a 5spd. conversion, I'd leave it looking like an auto to remind me to do the swap, and let it taunt me every time I look at it. But, I don't think it looks bad at all, and don't think it's a bad idea either.

Chris, hope you don't mind i borrowed this pic from ur w/s...
http://home.insight.rr.com/mccorvey1/Picture_205.jpg

Thorny88Lx
12-25-2002, 01:23 AM
SUPER GLUE

Defiant[YD]
12-25-2002, 11:58 PM
yah markmdz89hatch !!!
thats exactly what i wanna do, but with a new shift knob to make it look manual!!!!
how was it done???? and how big was the boot???

87Hybrid
12-26-2002, 07:41 AM
I looked at a civic once that had what you want I swore that it was a stick but you pushed down on the shift knob to move it into gear.

Shagen
01-03-2003, 01:10 PM
I love the shift boot on the auto...but the neon areound the stereo...RICE

Neuspeed007
01-04-2003, 08:33 AM
hahahha u lazy! just go out and find a 50 dollar accord and put in the 5spd! It would be alot better, but i know how u feel because ive been holding back on doing the conversion too. To tell u the truth i only found one 50 accord and i ahvent been abvle to find one again so its been hard. as far as the boot around the auto......Id say go for it. It does not look rice at all. I dont know why everybody thinks its rice. HOW THE HELL IS IT RICE?????????? i think some of u are getting carried away with the word.............................................. .....................cough cough DX HATCHBACK cough cough

smufguy
01-04-2003, 08:55 AM
well with the big knob that u push to get into gear (forgot the tech name for it) that gleams in chrome, even with the imitation boot, ur getting no where. Its way easier to just look and say its an auto. Anywayz, have u looked inside the Infinity J30? Its knob is right on the top of the shift lever imbedded in the shift lever. So unless u have something like that, its way too easy to say that its an auto. <<Sorry i was confusing here>>

LX-i prophet
01-04-2003, 09:21 AM
i agree, some company (i forget who) i saw in import tuner or super street makes an auto knob that looks like a manual (no buttons or anything) but you push down on top of it and it pushes down on to the little wheel there in your shifter and unlocks for you (anyone understand that?) get something like that and then put the boot on. but whatever, its your car..............

toastyghost
01-04-2003, 03:24 PM
two words: transmission swap

dXsquared
01-04-2003, 03:40 PM
cough cough...EAT ME!!!...cough cough

it is rice... he wants it to look like somthin its not...

Type R civic thats actually a 70 HP CX hatchback
DOHC VTEC sticker on a Integra LS or Civic DX
Shiftboot and manual knob on an auto

all rice... its fake shit... lookin like its somethin that its not...

Travis

smufguy
01-04-2003, 08:02 PM
Dodge had whats known as Autostick, thats before we had triptronic and steptronic and drive by wire trannies (newer MR2).

dXsquared
01-04-2003, 08:03 PM
they are pretty common now... very sweet and fun

Travis

89accordboi
01-04-2003, 08:39 PM
yeah people who put type r and shit on there cars kinda piss me off when its not, i mean i might as well put a type r emblem on my bicycle, put on a kilt, and ride around squeezing the horn with some sunglasses, seriously that shit is just gay.

88 Accord DX
01-04-2003, 08:59 PM
if your doing this mod just because you want your car to look manual, then its rice.

but i dont think thats why he is doing it. im prolly gonna do this too just because i like the look.

Neuspeed007
01-05-2003, 12:56 PM
SO I GUESS IF I JUST PUT A BOOT OVER AN AUTO STICK IN A FORD F-150 DEISEL TRUCK ID BE RICE HUH? GAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YY

johndej
01-05-2003, 01:17 PM
look in sport compact car, on one of their add pages i found a auto shift knob. it was carbon fiber and had the butten like where you would find it on a comp joy stick (under the front lip thing). it actually looked cool too and i don't think that would be rice at all

accordlx
01-05-2003, 03:57 PM
I didnt put the manual boot on the shifter because I wanted the car to look like a manual, I did it because I liked it. As for the neon around the radio, it's long gone. I also changed the shifter handle from the standard shifter T handle to a 3rd gen Prelude shifter handle. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow.

LX-i prophet
01-05-2003, 06:26 PM
hey John Dej- my '89 prelude was auto it had somethin like that. Looked like a joystick and had a "trigger" of sorts you pulled to shift. Of course, that was in Japan i dont know if they were the same here..............

carlessNcareless
01-06-2003, 10:35 AM
AHHHHH, i think your talking about 88LXI68, when i first me thim in CT i told him he'd probably beat me because of his 5 speed, i swear it was decieving as hell) and then he told me he had an auto, although he has a 5 spd now, he flexed that auto like a 5 spd damn good!!!

DigitaLuminescence
01-06-2003, 03:52 PM
I should try that boot and trigger shift knob... it would give that whole ugly auto console area a cleaner look. Very nice.
How much are those shift knobs?

Defiant[YD]
01-07-2003, 07:57 PM
i'm looking at this shift knob for auto, that has no button on it, and looks sweet. it's around 10-14cm long (thats shorter than most of the other auto knobs they have around). but it cost $140.

yes, it has no button, and it's definitely for auto. hence the price probably. i'm going back tmw to ask how i would avoid shifting from D3 to reverse with that thing and see how it works.

88 Accord DX
01-07-2003, 08:18 PM
if you take your stock auto shifter apart you'll see that when you push in your actually pushing down. so they make some with no buttons and you just push the whole thing down. its pretty sweet. APC has some of the trigger kind you are talking about for about $15. look on crutchfield.com i think that is where i saw them.

steven
06-23-2003, 04:52 AM
just take the damn push buttion shit out i did

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-23-2003, 05:16 AM
cough cough saying your a20 has 130hp because you have I/h/e.. :rice: , beating a Civic with a D- Series engine :rice:.. owning a 3gee and calling somebody elses car :rice: when his car looks 10x better than yours :gay:

Osiris
06-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Some of the chain auto parts stores have boots now. Check there. You can usually get them for less then $20.

Just dont get the one that says FF on it. (fast and furious). :lol:

toastyghost
06-23-2003, 08:43 PM
I agree with Osiris wholeheartedly. I mean that movie is like sooo two years ago, you absolutely HAVE to get the one that says "2F2F" now :lol:lol:lol:beer:

toastyghost
06-23-2003, 08:45 PM
(except substitute the pint glass with a half of vodka and that's more where i'm at right now)

they should make a :liquor: icon thingie just for me hahaha

Hash_man_Se_i
06-23-2003, 10:44 PM
I have an auto, and i kinda like the look of one with the boot. But personally I am too lazy too be driving a 5spd, and don't want to go through the trouble of putting one in, even though they are fun.

I was looking on the crutchfield site and i couldnt find that trigger type.. does anyone have a link??
I was however looking on the momo.it ste and I really like the look of their Automatic shift knob, its pretty cool.

85FieroGT
06-26-2003, 08:49 AM
Damn...around here...you'd get laughed at for doing it...

Then again...where I live is kinda strange...you don't get any respect for driving an auto...its much worse if its a Civic...lol...you might as well wear a sign that says kick me...