PDA

View Full Version : My oily situation

dirty89lx5sp
12-23-2002, 08:00 PM
Replaced valve cover gasket and cleaned off crud around timing belt housing and checked to see if there was any oil blow-by in the upper region of the timing house and noticed none (probably a really good sign). Still getting oil out of the valve cover and will need to go to a mechanic soon and have them official either inspect it or to replace it again...I"m not too sure how to get a really good seal with out gooping on this blue silicone stuff that could clog the valves. Whilst I had the cover off I was looking at the valves ans noticed what I thought was too much oil in the head I may have to go and have my oil return ports cleaned out. I also noticed later today after replacing my V/C gasket that there was a small puddle about 3" circle on the passenger side by the front tire and figured it was were the new gasket wasn't making a good seal ***hopefully***. Either way I'm so stressed over it and am really anxious to get it someplace to have it looked over. I have been driving it a wee bit (40 or so miles since new battery startup) and haven't noticed anything unusual about it's running condition...if all I need to get done to it is have the V/C resealed then I am so fucking happy. if not...some of the possible oil leaks will cost 215-275 to fix...but should fix a bunch that could go wrong with it.

Einstein
12-23-2002, 08:19 PM
After I bought my used Accord, I purchased a new valve cover gasket because the original one was leaking for whatever reason.

I follow Honda's advice and use their liquid gasket "Hondabond". Just a little is supposed to be used at the places where the valve cover gasket takes a bend around the ends of the camshaft. I also used a little near the middle of the straight run on the exhaust side, because it looked like the previous gasket may have leaked there. So far, there has been no leaks whatsoever.

BTW, the gasket and the head should be clean and DRY of oil. Wait 20 minutes before running the car.

I've been using the Hondabond for about 12 years, I'm suprised the tube hasn't gone hard!

dirty89lx5sp
12-23-2002, 08:28 PM
Yeah...the gasket could have been a little oily from my hands and I started it immediately...I shoulgd check into hetting some honda bond...but for now...can I just take the cover off again and go about resealing it after I clean the new-old cover I just put on and then add a bead of my bloo goo around the whole of the gasket without damaging anything else?

Lester Lugnut
12-23-2002, 09:30 PM
Two things to consider:

First off, I only use the valve cover gaskets sold at the Honda dealership. I've used after-market valve cover gaskets and all of them leaked.

Secondly, check to see if the oil is possibly coming from the area where the distributor mates to the cylinder head. There's an o-ring gasket that mounts on the distributor shaft. When these engines get old(and all of them are), this o-ring wears and oil leaks from where the dist. mounts to the head.

I'd thoroughly steam clean the engine first, then watch for where the oil is coming from. Once an engine gets dirty, it's hard to tell for sure.

njpeter
12-24-2002, 06:30 AM
but watch out how you tighten down the valve cover..tighten evenly or all is lost. all other advice here is good ..I'll have to see about that hondabond next time I'm at the dealer.