PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Tensioner

bboston
01-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Hey guys, so yesterday I changed my T Belt myself because the old one was missing teeth, but i didn't replace the tensioner (I know...I know, but it "looked fine"). Once i started the car I noticed that the tensioner was screeching. I removed the T belt covers to get a better look and saw that the tensioner would spin with the belt and then it would freeze, causing that screeching sound. My question is isnt the tensioner supposed to spin? Could it be tensioned too tight? I plan to replace it tmmrw when the part stores open back up, Im not sure when the last time it was replaced, since I just purchased the car.:flash:

ryan427
01-01-2015, 03:27 PM
It could be the bearing in the tensioner beginning to fail. Just like an idler pulley or any other belt tensioner. Chances are it is adjusted correctly but the new belt is "smaller"... meaning it isn't stretched like the old one. This puts added tension on that tensioner and you get the point. Screeching+seizing could mean imminent failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derolph
01-04-2015, 08:19 AM
I think should conclude from this that you should have replaced the tensioner and that you'll now have to do so.

2oodoor
01-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Lot of places just sell a belt kit that includes tensioner, just something you dont want to do twice in short time.

lostforawhile
01-05-2015, 12:51 AM
the USDM service manual is free on the three geez wiki, if you follow the proper procedure to set it, it tensions the belt automatically as it wears. You want the gates kit, you can get the belt and tensioner in one kit, Honda uses gates for their oem belts

Dr_Snooz
01-05-2015, 07:32 AM
The wiki is down for the time being. We're working on moving the material to a different server now. Stay tuned for more.