PDA

View Full Version : Sealed Beam to H4 conversion

johnsn
01-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Hi all,

I've got sealed beam headlights in my 89 Accord (the popup headlights). I'm looking to convert them to H4 just so it's a bit brighter when driving at night. I've read that they take H6054 which is 7x6", but I'm a bit confused. When I just measured my current lights from one end of the glass to the other, they appear to be about 190mmx140mm (or 7.4"x5.5"). The size smaller is 165x100mm (6.4x3.9mm). And do I have to modify anything to run a 55W low beam, 100W high beam bulb instead of the 55/60W?

Thanks

lostforawhile
01-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Hi all,

I've got sealed beam headlights in my 89 Accord (the popup headlights). I'm looking to convert them to H4 just so it's a bit brighter when driving at night. I've read that they take H6054 which is 7x6", but I'm a bit confused. When I just measured my current lights from one end of the glass to the other, they appear to be about 190mmx140mm (or 7.4"x5.5"). The size smaller is 165x100mm (6.4x3.9mm). And do I have to modify anything to run a 55W low beam, 100W high beam bulb instead of the 55/60W?

Thanks

you'll want to run relays to protect the switch, they already have issues on the stock lights, and the combination switches are getting hard to find, if you want to run the higher powered low beam, get the E code Hella conversions, those are the European lights, and have a much sharper low beam cut off, sealed beams only came in a few sizes, so the rectangular light for single low beam/high beam is the same on any car having just two sealed beam lights, on the higher powered lights, you want to run high temp sockets, as the stock ones will probably melt, Oreilies has a pack of two doorman ones, complete with boot and split loom to a pig tail, for about 12 bucks, they are designed for higher wattage conversions, they say the E code isn't legal for use here, the main reason isn't glare, but the fact that they don't have aiming bumps, stupid reason thats not really even applicable today, :facepalm: but we are way behind the rest of the world as far as headlight technology. They actually have a better beam cutoff them most OEM lights, which means LESS glare for other drivers, but no one will probably pay attention to your headlights being legal or not, the bad HID ones are the ones they notice mainly, I had E code round Hellas on one of my 81's and the difference was night and day vs sealed beam