PDA

View Full Version : shifting strategies? (lol)

89accordboi
12-23-2002, 11:12 PM
lol i've only been driving a manual for about a month and im kinda slow, like today i raced my brother at this light we were side by side goin straight, i had him in 1st gear but when we hit second he pulled away so hard, and if i had shifted faster he wouldn't have pulled away AS hard lol, do u guys have any tips or... cuz i occasionally grind when i try and go fast but i guess i need more practice i dunno.

Rich87HB
12-23-2002, 11:23 PM
hey man practice makes perfect u know. To learn to shift quick, its almost as if you have to devlop a relationship with your car. And we all know relationships take time, usually alot of it. So the best advice i could give is just keep trying to get faster and faster and concentrate on smooth shifts,,, but i guess "if you cant find it, Grind it!"

Mike's89AccordLX
12-23-2002, 11:49 PM
Turn your radio off and listen to your car, that's how the relationship starts. If you hear her purr and know when she wants to be shifted it will go a lot better. I don't even need my tach anymore (even with the stereo on I know when to shift) after awhile you can just feel when you need to shift. It take's a lot of time with her to get good. I just put my weber on and it's like starting over (redlines so fast I might need a shift light or something)

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-24-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Rich87HB
hey man practice makes perfect u know. To learn to shift quick, its almost as if you have to devlop a relationship with your car. And we all know relationships take time, usually alot of it. So the best advice i could give is just keep trying to get faster and faster and concentrate on smooth shifts,,, but i guess "if you cant find it, Grind it!"
:werd: Yep, that's the key. Practice, practice, practice! Eventually it will just come naturally and you won't even think about shifting, it'll just kinda happen by itself. I made plenty of mistakes when I was learning to drive manual, but with practice I kept getting better and better, and now several years later, I can drive a manual perfectly, and can even knock off shifts as smoothly as a good auto can. Just takes practice and patients.

Definitely turn off the radio though and just listen to the engine. Trust me, it helps alot. Sometimes I like to do that just because the engine is so smooth and quiet it almost sounds like a large electric motor winding up and sounds cool, haha :lol

ACCORD EX
12-24-2002, 05:55 AM
what is your brother's car ! ?

anyway shifting into to second gear suck in my car !

MIKE

dXsquared
12-24-2002, 07:58 AM
i just keep the foot down all the way threw 1.2.3... just wait untill no more power, then push the clutch, slam the gear, pop the clutch... i am real good with it now... i know exactly what the car will do if i do this certain action and if i dont what will happen... it is definetly a relationship and i have a good bond...

Travis

87Hybrid
12-24-2002, 08:21 AM
My advice Don't race on the street! Especially in Portland If you get caught or turned in No More 3G.