PDA

View Full Version : Accord Transmission

micahman420
12-23-2002, 11:52 PM
Hello everyone,
I was driving home from Buffalo NY on Friday afternoon when my 1989 Accord SE-i transmission started to act up. When I put it into 5th gear it would stay in for 15 min then just pop out and go into neutral. It did this to me several times but the last time it popped out, it won't go back into 5th gear. Its like its just in neutral when I put it in. All the other gears are fine in the car. I just would like some insight on what needs to be done. Do I need a new transmission, or is it just something that isn't as drastic??? Please let me know....
Thanks,
Micah

DevilZ
12-23-2002, 11:59 PM
Sounds like the 5th gear synchro took a shit. It will need to be removed and rebuilt.

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-24-2002, 12:01 AM
Sounds like your 5th gear burned up. Not extremely uncommon on our 3rd gens, and if everything else works fine then it can be fixed rather easily without removing the tranny. This usually happens when the tranny fluid is a little low, and since 5th gear is the last to get lubrication, it's the one that goes out.

I've never done this before though, so I can't give any specifics. Other peeps can probably give better details

maka_RTH
12-24-2002, 01:43 AM
i think that's what may have happened to my fourth gear...

cruznz
12-24-2002, 02:59 AM
you might want to take 5th gear cover off and check....if you're lucky it could be just a worn selector fork, if its not the synchro or gears

ACCORD EX
12-24-2002, 05:45 AM
i would first check the oil to make sure other gears don't go bad too !

MIKE

rocky2
12-24-2002, 07:09 AM
I would try changing oil in trans,using 5w30 and get real good stuff. Also just put the filler plug on snug with some anti-sieze on treads of it because many peeps have had trouble loosening it.It may return to normal,if it did't burn up. If your going on a long trip 200 miles + check all levels of fliuds

Johnny O
12-24-2002, 07:10 PM
5th gear can fixed easily.Take off tranny cover 6 or 7 bolts bot you can just change that gear,but will need good 1/2 impact wrench.Remember one nut is reverse thread.It happened to me also.