PDA

View Full Version : Aiming Headlights

johnsn
01-07-2015, 05:05 AM
The manual says to adjust headlights use screws on the left and right of the headlight, but doesn't say which one does which. What does the outer screw do and what does the inner screw do? On mine the inner screw doesn't seem to do anything, and the outer screw seems to adjust vertical to a certain point. It goes down a bit, and then doesn't keep going down even when continuing to loosen the screw.

Oldblueaccord
01-07-2015, 06:25 PM
The manual says to adjust headlights use screws on the left and right of the headlight, but doesn't say which one does which. What does the outer screw do and what does the inner screw do? On mine the inner screw doesn't seem to do anything, and the outer screw seems to adjust vertical to a certain point. It goes down a bit, and then doesn't keep going down even when continuing to loosen the screw.

The headlight bucket is spring loaded so there is one adjuster for up and down. One for left and right. The other screws are to remove the ring that holds the headlight in place. Once you look at it real close you wil understand.

johnsn
01-07-2015, 06:42 PM
The headlight bucket is spring loaded so there is one adjuster for up and down. One for left and right. The other screws are to remove the ring that holds the headlight in place. Once you look at it real close you wil understand.

I see three screws, one on the outer side and one on the inner side towards the engine , and one on the bottom. All three are attached to a spring (which is rusted which is a pain). The manual says adjustment screws are only the ones on the left and right and doesn't mention the one on the bottom. I think perhaps because the spring is a bit rusted it's causing trouble, because the inner screw doesn't seem to do anything on one of the headlights, but then seems to adjust it vertically on the other. Which is strange because the outer screw also seems to adjust vertically on that same headlight.

Dr_Snooz
01-07-2015, 07:35 PM
If there is rust, you might need to remove the headlight to lube and repair the mechanism.

lostforawhile
01-07-2015, 10:22 PM
push the headlight up button on the dash, take off the headlight trim, remove the headlight, now soak the mechanism with PB blaster or something like it, and let it sit, give me a little while and I'll go take some pictures of one off of the car, if I can find the bucket

johnsn
01-07-2015, 10:58 PM
push the headlight up button on the dash, take off the headlight trim, remove the headlight, now soak the mechanism with PB blaster or something like it, and let it sit, give me a little while and I'll go take some pictures of one off of the car, if I can find the bucket

Yeah that would be great, and take some of the screws that control the vertical and horizontal

lostforawhile
01-07-2015, 11:02 PM
there are only two screws, one at the side and one at the bottom, My extra headlight buckets are missing some of the springs, and I can't find in the book, anything that shows how many there are, you could possibly be missing a spring, it may have just rusted in half and fell out, they are just short coil springs, you can get at almost any hardware store. I'll keep looking in the book. http://i.imgur.com/mLzwy07.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CUxRjN8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rlfzjWR.jpg

johnsn
01-08-2015, 12:25 AM
Yours are different to mine. Mine looks like this with two on either side and one at the bottom. Not quite sure what each does because some don't do anything on one and then do something else on the other.6719

2oodoor
01-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Yours are different to mine. Mine looks like this with two on either side and one at the bottom. Not quite sure what each does because some don't do anything on one and then do something else on the other.6719

Wow that manual's diagram looks totally incorrect.
Lost- forawhile's direction is closer to what you should be seeing.
note that his pictures are with the trim taken off but you can still see and use the adjustment screws with the trim on.

lostforawhile
01-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Wow that manual's diagram looks totally incorrect.
Lost- forawhile's direction is closer to what you should be seeing.
note that his pictures are with the trim taken off but you can still see and use the adjustment screws with the trim on.
Thats my extra set of buckets, I wanted him to see the springs, but I think there are some missing on those, I can't seem to find a diagram with all the springs in place, the book just shows how to replace the bulb

Dr_Snooz
01-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Yours are different to mine. Mine looks like this with two on either side and one at the bottom. Not quite sure what each does because some don't do anything on one and then do something else on the other.http://www.3geez.com/forum/attachments/3geez-accords/6719-aiming-headlights-hl-jpg

What manual are you getting this from?

lostforawhile
01-08-2015, 08:54 PM
the way the headlights are supported and aimed is just like the power mirrors, two motors that can move the mirrors vertically and horizontally in either direction, the screws are like the motors in the mirrors

johnsn
01-08-2015, 09:12 PM
What manual are you getting this from?

I got it from the Accord Repair Manual.

Wow, I think i've done it. Yep, mine look exactly like the one from the manual. Yours seems to make a lot more sense. I finally figured out what each screw seems to do. ALL THREE screws control vertical aim.. The two screws on the left and right control vertical AND horizontal at the same time. They push the beam in diagonal lines. If you tighten the left screw, the beam is pushed up vertically and also pushed to the left. Then to make it go down you have to loosen the screw on the right which will make it go down and also to the left. You have to loosen or tighten one side, whilst doing the opposite on the other.. and keep swapping between (Genius idea). Once the left and right screws are adjusted, it seems that the bottom control only the vertical movement. It would have been much easier if it was just like yours with 2 screws, and some kind on marking to denote which is which.

AccordB20A
01-09-2015, 04:11 PM
i though it would be straight forward. on mine theres three screws, the bottom one does up and down and the side ones go side to side......