PDA

View Full Version : Blue smoke from exhaust (burning oil help)

eddieengle
01-09-2015, 02:14 PM
a little backstory, i used to have a leak that cause oil to leak OUTSIDE of the engine. i believe it was a seal of some sort(cant find the invoice right now). before i fixed it, i had to change my oil every month because it would get low that quickly. i had the problem repaired, and MOST of the leak was taken care of. it still leaked, but very little. basically things were back to normal. i hadnt driven the car in the while, and like an idiot assumed i needed to add oil because i know it had been slowly draining out. turns out it was fine and im pretty sure i overfilled it, i drove home and my car blew smoke like the batmobile. when i realized that i obviously overfilled it, i gave it another oil change and everything went back to normal. except now im seeing small puffs of blue smoke coming from my exhaust.

is it possible that there is a small amount inside the engine that will eventually all come out? or is it something worse like worn seals, or (worst case scenario/nightmare) my valves? would hate to take it somewhere for them to say "nope, just a little oil where it shouldnt be, now pay us!" when its a problem that will eventually work itself out ya know? thanks for any advice/help.

lostforawhile
01-09-2015, 05:36 PM
if it started after you over filled it, it's probably in the pcv system and possibly some oil trapped in the liquid vapor separator thats on the back of the engine, the black box that the PCV is attached to, if you overfill it, oil can be pulled up the vent at the top of the oil pan and into that box, where it can get into the engine

Dr_Snooz
01-09-2015, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Drive it and keep an eye on things. It will probably be fine.

89NinjaAccordLX
01-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Drive it and keep an eye on things.
Truth.

I haven't worked on an A20 for a long, long time... but generally speaking... making this mistake, doing an oil change (and fixing it), and then only seeing a few puffs... I believe you're good to go.

lostforawhile
01-10-2015, 03:10 PM
normally liquid oil won't get into the pcv valve unless it's overfilled, but it make take some time to clear out of the valve, the vapor liquid separator box just got overwhelmed by too much liquid oil, it takes a really small amount of oil to create a lot of smoke

gp02a0083
01-19-2015, 09:56 AM
As Snooz said , keep an eye on it. I think you will be fine, if anything pull the pcv valve and check so its not sticky and run some Run-Rite through a vac port on the intake to clean up any remaining oil deposits

eddieengle
01-29-2015, 03:32 PM
update: drove it for about 40 minutes (to the bank and back in traffic) and everything seemed normal. about 25-30 minutes in i started to get puffs of smoke from the exhaust. but i only noticed when i would come to a stop, nothing visible while im driving. thoughts?

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2015, 07:42 PM
Keep driving.