PDA

View Full Version : Radio 12V constant...

1989accordaz
01-10-2015, 05:28 PM
I am replacing a stereo that was stolen from my 89 LX with the same exact model. My problem is that I have no 12V constant ( WHT/YEL ) wire, so once connected, the stereo does not turn on.

I do have 12v switched. But even when the car is on, the stereo does not turn on.

Looking at the schematics and it shows the 12V constant comes straight from the battery. The fuse there is good ( No.11 10 AMPS ) Also my dash fuse #13 is ok.

I do have 12V constant at the cigarette lighter. Thinking about splicing it and getting 12V constant from there.

Any suggestions?

lostforawhile
01-11-2015, 12:04 AM
look to the right of the right of the wheel just underneath it, you'll see several large connector plugs, make sure they are plugged all the way in, the radio harness is part of the subharness in the dash and it plugs in where those plugs are. does your clock keep time? the connector in that group is the blue one with 22 pins, you'll want to check the white/yellow coming into that connector

1989accordaz
01-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the reply lostforawhile,

I located the blue 22 pin connector. It has continuity between the radio connector and the harness 22 pin connector,but no voltage at the wht/yel wire. I am going to trace that wire from the harness and see if I can find were is faulty at. My clock stopped working, haven't replaced it yet. Every time I try to get one from the yard it just falls into pieces. So I gave up on that one for now...

lostforawhile
01-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the reply lostforawhile,

I located the blue 22 pin connector. It has continuity between the radio connector and the harness 22 pin connector,but no voltage at the wht/yel wire. I am going to trace that wire from the harness and see if I can find were is faulty at. My clock stopped working, haven't replaced it yet. Every time I try to get one from the yard it just falls into pieces. So I gave up on that one for now...
if the clock isn't working, that chances are power isn't making it from the underhood fuse to the harness, thats the same fuse you need for the radio

2oodoor
01-12-2015, 03:24 PM
I think that's like #13 or #11 underhood isnt it?

lostforawhile
01-12-2015, 04:21 PM
11 underhood fuse box, did you try a different fuse? unbolt the fuse box and probe the connector underneath where it goes into the car to make sure power is making it through the fuse and into the harness

1989accordaz
01-12-2015, 05:20 PM
#11 fuse test ok, in and out of the fuse box. Since it test ok I didn't replace the fuse. I am going to unbolt the fuse box and probe the connector. Thanks for the tip lostforawhile.

you know, I can just run a new constant with an inline fuse close to the batt...but first I really want to get to the bottom of this one. I saw a schematic book on ebay and I may just order it.

About the clock, mine worked intermittently for a while, I would just tap it and it worked. I attributed this to weak solder joints. I am going to take the clock out and see if I am getting voltage there. The clock worked for months after my stereo was stolen. They also damaged the ac control unit and vents. All of that has been replaced, all I need know is for my radio to work.

Thanks again for your help ( as usual ). I'll post updates.

lostforawhile
01-12-2015, 05:56 PM
#11 fuse test ok, in and out of the fuse box. Since it test ok I didn't replace the fuse. I am going to unbolt the fuse box and probe the connector. Thanks for the tip lostforawhile.

you know, I can just run a new constant with an inline fuse close to the batt...but first I really want to get to the bottom of this one. I saw a schematic book on ebay and I may just order it.

About the clock, mine worked intermittently for a while, I would just tap it and it worked. I attributed this to weak solder joints. I am going to take the clock out and see if I am getting voltage there. The clock worked for months after my stereo was stolen. They also damaged the ac control unit and vents. All of that has been replaced, all I need know is for my radio to work.

Thanks again for your help ( as usual ). I'll post updates.
the clock is known for bad solder joints, thats easy to fix, if the issue turns out to be inside the fuse box, and you have continuity from the connector in the car out to the fuse box connector, then you can splice in an inline fuse to that wire, under the hood, or just look for a used fusebox at the yard, if the isue is between the fusebox and the wire in the car you can run a new wire from the fusebox to that connector

2oodoor
01-13-2015, 05:51 PM
http://3geez.com/uploads/images/fuses.jpg

1989accordaz
01-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Good fuse at #13 2oodoor,

My 12v constant must be broken at a splice or maybe like lostforawhile says, at the fusebox. Will do more troubleshooting this weekend.

lostforawhile
01-16-2015, 06:21 PM
look at your harness really closely under the dash, thats a pretty common wire for someone to have spliced into over the years, you have continuity from the radio to the plug plug under the dash,so you can rule that out, next check continuity between the plug going into the fusebox and the plug under the dash, chances are there is something like a K-mart brand butt connector taped somewhere in there, maby when they stole the stereo they disturbed it

1989accordaz
01-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Well I feel like a dumbass, it was the GD fuse #13 that was blown! Here is the thing though, this morning when I went out to work on it, I decided to test the fuses again. So I removed the cover for the Relay box and tested, again, #13 and nothing....wait this fuse tested OK before. I reversed the probes and I get a beep continuity at this point I am like WTF. Reverse the probes, nothing. Reverse the probes again and get continuity. So I removed the fuse to look at it and sure enough it was blown. That one threw me off.

Thanks again for your help guys. Not sure why it did what it did but at this point I get 12v constant and my radio is working.

Lostforawhile, you were right all along. The clock didn't work either. Then again, it works intermittently. Will take the the clock out and re solder all joints.