PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor mount torque spec?

rdaniels
01-10-2015, 10:21 PM
Anyone know the torque that should be applied to the carb mounting nuts/bolts? Can't seem to spot it in the manuals that I've downloaded.....

Dr_Snooz
01-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Well, if that carb is anything like the carb on my '82 was, then you don't have a snowball's chance of getting a torque wrench anywhere close to the mounting bolts. I did well to get a box end wrench over some of those nuts. You'll have to torque them by feel. Basically, tight enough to squash the oring gasket, hold the carb down and not rattle loose, but not so tight as to cause the mounting plates to crack or deform (they were made of plastic on my '82).

If you're a real tech geek like me, then you'll want a specific number. There are default torque specs for fasteners. If you know the size and grade of fastener, you can look up the default torque spec on a chart (like this one: https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/US-Recommended-Torque.aspx). As a general rule, if a specific torque spec is not listed in your manual, then you assume it's the default torque spec for that fastener.

airporter
01-11-2015, 06:40 PM
I replaced my carb on my 1989 accord a year ago. I did as Dr Snooz suggested tightened in a criss-crossed pattern nice and snug. its worked fine so far.

I looked in my 89 service manual and could not find any torque specs.... however, I did find some specs in my Haynes manual. It says to torque to 15 Ft-lbs.

Hope that helps.