PDA

View Full Version : Problems with starting; idle

MrBen
12-24-2002, 11:09 PM
Problems!

My car starts up in the morning every time. No problem there. The problem is sometimes, I shut it off to run in a store or something, come back out, try to start it, and it wont start. I have to keep the gas pedal all the way to the floor and after a few seconds of cranking it will sputter and start out slow and finally get up to the needed rpms to stay going. It doesnt happen all the time, but its getting to the point that its done it its fair amount of times to scare the crap out of me. Also, I'll be cruising down the road doing about 35 and It will maintain it's speed without me touching the accelerator. When I get to a stop light, it will sometimes (not always) idle at 3 grand or so, then I'll get to another and it will be normal. Even when hot. I took it into the mechanic and of course, he found nothing. The engine's been scoped, No vacuum leaks, and maintence is up to par. What is the deal here, and I dont exactly have all the money in the world... what is cheap to fix this, or what would you do?

:huh:

ACCORD EX
12-25-2002, 04:53 AM
check for a stick throttle ! if that happens when you shut off the car and come back your car will be flooded and won't start easiely !

MIKE

shepherd79
12-25-2002, 05:35 AM
i had the same problem when i bought my car. i had rebuild and clean the carb. it is very cheap, and it helped.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-25-2002, 06:26 AM
Shit that's all it is? I had the same problem and I was sooo pissed I went and bought a Weber 32/36. Oh well I'm better off anyways. I kept the old carb so I can re-build it when I take these mechanic classes next year. I decided to take a semester off. My parents weren't too happy with that idea.

ACCORD EX
12-25-2002, 10:42 AM
carb diagrams are in the service manual avialble for download in the FAQ's section !

MIKE

mowery
12-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Mine was doing the same thing... I also suspected a sticky throttle cable in the cold, but it turned out to be a vacuum leak in the choke unloader diaphragm.

Search using the phrase "choke unloader", and there's been numerous discussions about it.

rocky2
12-27-2002, 07:38 AM
I've been searching around the internat about 3-g carb problems. I found an interesting post that said many carb problems have a bad adapter plate "o" ring under carb,sucking air causing all kinds of problems. Everyone should begin there,when idle varies.

njpeter
12-28-2002, 08:06 AM
..with the car idling, spay with care around the carb and hoses..if the idle speeds up, you've found the leak...be warned that some leaks may only appear witht the engine in gear (auto) and a load on, which menas you need a helper...and by all menas do NOT stand in front of the car when doing this work...if your helper is an idiot, you'll get hurt badly..most lekas I've found on the drivers side..the choke unloader is also a big issue for fast and surging idle..mine is idling like a baby now..right after the new sparkers went in..and I know it's running good, the emission results during my recent inspection were very very low.

smittys87dx
01-04-2003, 04:04 PM
mine does that too i think it is a leak cause i have performed the spray method and it worked.

A20A1
01-06-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by rocky2
I've been searching around the internat about 3-g carb problems. I found an interesting post that said many carb problems have a bad adapter plate "o" ring under carb,sucking air causing all kinds of problems. Everyone should begin there,when idle varies.

That o-ring also seals out coolant.