PDA

View Full Version : i need to put a new block UNDER my A20 head

@therottener
01-14-2015, 02:45 PM
1987 Accord DX carbureted with A20A engine and manual transmission.
I have seen posts about putting different heads on that block, but in my case...

A misfire led to replacement of the stock carburetor with a Weber 32/36.
Installation of the carburetor led to discovery of a head gasket leak.
Removal of the head led to grinding the valves, planing the head, and new valve guide seals.
Reinstallation of the head and new head gasket let to discovery that my block is cracked.

So here I am. I have a brand new top end and no block to put it on. I can source an A20 block at any local junkyard, and that's what I will do unless there is a good reason to use a different block.
What do you say?

Thank you!

MessyHonda
01-14-2015, 06:25 PM
the good thing you can use the A18 from the 2nd gen prelude and accord or any A20 from the accord. the best block to get would be a fuel injected because it has .2 more compression.

Dr_Snooz
01-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Sometimes machine shops can repair your existing block as well. It's another possibility to check into.

2oodoor
01-15-2015, 09:16 AM
You stand a very good chance of finding a perfectly fine block in the JY , maybe not even need rebuilding (rotating assembly or cyl work) but definatley resealing rubber gaskets & seals.

@therottener
01-21-2015, 10:42 AM
On 2nd thought, how can I be sure it is the block that is cracked and not the head? The main symptom right now is that there is a huge vacuum in my radiator and the engine keeps filling with coolant.