PDA

View Full Version : Low Idle and ALOT OF VIBRATION!

bradccool
12-25-2002, 07:08 AM
OK, I know that alot of people have this problem or a similar one.........but I can never find a str8 foward answer to it...........I have a 87 Honda Accord DX *carb* when I am in drive and I pull up to a light and stop my car shakes pretty bad......I notice that whenever it is in drive and the idle gets below.....maybe 900 or 850 or so.......it shakes.........with the a/c on......it goes to like 500 or 600 and shakes REALLY BAD.......BUT........if I put the car in nuetral or park.....it shakes none or hardly any......and the Idle goes up too about 900+ .....and is smooth.........I am assuming my Idle is too low..........but I have heard there is a Throttle stop screw on the Carb........and I read somewhere that there is a Idle screw for when your a/c is on.........I don't Know where any of this stuff is..........I have a haynes manual...............Any help would be greatly apprecaited..............thx!

bradccool
12-25-2002, 07:10 AM
Oh yea....I forgot to mention.....I do a lil test somtimes........if I press the gas down while holding the brake *so it doesnt fly away* and make the idle go to about 900 or 1000 while in drive.....the shakings seems to go away.......

turfnnsurf
12-25-2002, 07:34 AM
OK, i think there is a FAQ on this subject. But from what you are talking about it sounds like your motor mounts are bad/broken.(most likely the lower front by the radiator) its easy to check if they are with a friend. Have your friend sit in your car apply the brake and put the car in gear while you inspect the motor mounts. When your friend gives the car a little gas watch for the motor mount to seperate or just look for excessive movement of the entire engine(front to back)

Coitis1
12-25-2002, 08:03 AM
my car does the same exact thing, except im injected. i'm gonna try adjusting my idle eventually but until then i'll just have to deal with it. its not too bad

ACCORD EX
12-25-2002, 10:57 AM
check out these to how to's and adjust your carb ! >
self experience !
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74

service manual
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117

BTW i would check my PCV valve and replace it if it wasn't replaced before !

is your car auto or manual !?

MIKE

bradccool
12-25-2002, 02:45 PM
it is auto and I already had the PCV Valve replaced

ACCORD EX
12-25-2002, 04:53 PM
ok check the threads i posted above !

MIKE

bradccool
12-29-2002, 12:40 PM
Well......I called in sick to work today to try and get that shaking fixed.....and thanks to accordex87 carburator adjustment site..........and the people who gave me the link.............my car no longer shakes when sitting still.......just had to set my A/C Idle up some........and my Throttle stop up.......and it is fixed........

njpeter
12-29-2002, 01:13 PM
ain't it cool?

on carbed accords the balance between the throttle stop screw, timing and several other vodoo mixture adjustments are all controlled by the frequency solenoid valve, this valve makes a horrid clicking sound when it is operating correctly, but it does the magic of perfectly balancing the idle speed mixture against the current engine load, if you put on your headlights, the idle drops just for a moment, then evens out when this system is working.

leaning how this system works is the key to happiness with a carbed accord. the silver shop manual is the way to go here, chiltons doesn't really explain it at all.

any one thing out of adjustment or a vac leak and you can chase your tail trying to fix it for weeks.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-29-2002, 01:22 PM
My heat shield on my cat is broken and it rattles at 900 rpms (vibrates againts the cat) No need to worry I have a straight pipe on the way as we speak.

ACCORD EX
12-30-2002, 01:19 AM
glad you fixed it !

MIKE

89 Accords Rock
01-13-2003, 08:19 AM
its and easy fix. remove your airbox and look down beside your carb. there should be a phillips screw with yellow paint. with the car on, turn the screw to the right until your idle is brought to about 1300 in park. then go into the car and put the car in D. your idle should be somewhere around 1000 and thats the perfect setting for our cars