PDA

View Full Version : My tires are almost 15 years old. Crazy, isn't it?

derolph
01-15-2015, 03:30 PM
My tires were installed on 2/24/2000. The brand is Roadmaster. The tires have 58,183 miles on them. They still drive well; they have not shown signs of deterioration such as causing steering vibration due to tread separation. In terms of tread-depth, they are not down to the tread bar but some research tells me tires deteriorate with age and replacement is generally recommended around 7 years.

I've been doing some online tire shopping and plan to replace them soon. I'm just curious whether any of you have run tires way beyond, say, 7 years.

RAZR
01-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Not a good idea to run them that long. You may not be able to see deterioration but they are getting to old.

2oodoor
01-15-2015, 04:45 PM
3879 miles a year is some pretty gentle usage, that is remarkable. Roadmaster were good tires at one point in time and got hard to find if I remember correctly.
yes I have had and seen (as a govt.fleet manager) tires last 7 years and more....and much much less :)

Oldblueaccord
01-15-2015, 07:48 PM
My old scout I keep the tires on it 10 years or more. Not the best ideas but it happens.

I just spent 1100$ on new Mickey Tompson 33x12.5 baja claws for my birthday. One of my steel rims is bent a little but the tires run so smooth I doubt Ill replace them.

On the accord its a different story I lost count how many sets of tires I have gone thru. With 200 tread wear tires its about once a year. But the price is a lilttle different.

Hazwan
01-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Damn my 4 year old tires are showing some tiny cracks on the tread and I feel like they're going to explode whenever I'm driving. But FIFTEEN???

gp02a0083
01-16-2015, 09:51 AM
that is impressive, usually due to storage conditions the side walls end up cracking. I think i get about 4-5 years at best with a 400 or so tread wear rating @ 10-15k miles a year on my accord. The previous set of cooper cobra tires I had on my 442 were back from 2003/2004 and were replaced around 2011/2012, however the car was not really driven much and was stored while at college. My worry would be the tires de-laminating being that old. For tires that old use them for just rolling the car around or a cushion for something like an engine.

derolph
01-17-2015, 11:42 AM
3879 miles a year is some pretty gentle usage, that is remarkable. Roadmaster were good tires at one point in time and got hard to find if I remember correctly.
yes I have had and seen (as a govt.fleet manager) tires last 7 years and more....and much much less :)

I have a '91 Accord (over 305K miles on it) that I treated as my main car for many years and I somewhat ignored the '88 LX-i during that time and did not drive it nearly as much as the '91. But, within the last few years, with my '91 Accord's appearance deteriorating due to rust, I began paying more attention to the '88 Accord and driving it more. In some ways, the body of the '88 is in much better condition than the '91. For example, right rear bumper molding on my '91 begin drooping down on that side because the underlying support structure was just completely rusted away. That area is solid on the '88.

Roadmaster tires are made by Cooper Tire & Rubber Company, which is based in Findlay, OH. I have another brand, Mastercraft, on my '91 Accord; they are also made by Cooper Tire & Rubber Company and I have gotten good service from them, also. Both sets of tires came from the same dealer in Reynoldsburg, OH. But. I think I'm going to buy a KUMHO tire sold by TireRack.com to replace the very old tires on my '88. The price is very good and the buyer reviews posted on the site provide some confidence with that model tire. Due to the age of the car, I don't expect to be driving it long enough to wear out a set of tires, assuming the quality of the tires is fairly good or better.

gp02a0083
01-17-2015, 11:40 PM
I have been really pleased with the Kumho's ecsta 4x's after switching from the Falken 912's. Cooper i think in recent years is lacking, used to have the cobra's on my 442 and they were decent except in wet weather. They just seemed to wear faster.

derolph
02-01-2015, 11:44 AM
An update: I bought General AltiMAX RT43 tires. I have only had them on the car for about two weeks but, so far, I have a favorable impression. When I first drove the car after mounting the new tires, I thought I noticed some road noise but that seems to have disappeared; I believe the noise was due to the newness and some break-in time was needed. The manufacturer recommends gentle acceleration, braking, and cornering during the first 500 miles. I'm still in the break-in phase; I only have about 150 miles on them so far.

This morning was the first time for driving on some snow here in Ohio. The tires seemed good on snow. This is the reason I chose them over the KUMHO tires I was thinking about buying; I read survey findings which compared different model tires and those findings indicated the General tire is better on snow than the KUMHO tire.

2oodoor
02-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Dam Im old, I just had that jingle in my mind "sooner or later you'll own Generals"
General Tire Commercial - Back Road - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vUE2k0Pd-nQ)

derolph
02-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Dam Im old, I just had that jingle in my mind "sooner or later you'll own Generals"
General Tire Commercial - Back Road - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vUE2k0Pd-nQ)
Cool! I'm surprised that I don't recall ever seeing it.

Dr_Snooz
02-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Oh Roo, you're taking me back!