PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fluid/flushing

dirty89lx5sp
12-25-2002, 04:58 PM
First...is it possible for the radiator fluid to look black if not changed after 3+ years...also it has been this color (milkish,greyish,blackish) since at least 3 years ago plus more....also...can I flush and change this fluid in my parking spot without a water hose? I know it sounds bad...and could mean a head gasket...but I have put around 15k miles on it with it like this...so I don't think that's it...I'm just now taking the time to try and do right by my car...so bear with me for a few weeks. Thanks.

anchovies
12-25-2002, 09:14 PM
Please change it. Your coolant and cooling system is already full of rust and deposits.
You can do it without a water hose. Just use buckets of water and add some of the acid cooling system cleaner and run the car like that for a while. Then more buckets of water to flush it.

dirty89lx5sp
12-25-2002, 09:19 PM
Thanks a little reassurance is nice. I will try very soon....Friday is my next "work on car all day" day....what should I look for after I change the fluid?

maka_RTH
12-25-2002, 09:21 PM
i'm gonna flush mine come spring and warmer weather, any helpful tips on doing it?

anchovies
12-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Might as well change the thermostate and gasket ($10) and if you want the hoses as well (can go up to $50++).

what should I look for after I change the fluid?
A healthier engine and a much fresher air inside for you :D

any helpful tips on doing it?
as per manual or FAQ (i think). Easy job.

loco87
12-25-2002, 09:29 PM
change the thermostat&gasket, radiator cap and upper and lower radiator hoses. you should consider changing the water pump also.

maka_RTH
12-25-2002, 09:55 PM
if you do the pump shouldn't you do the timing belt as well? i haven't even checked my timing belt since i got my car..., i should do that tomorrow when i install my driving/fog lights

ACCORD EX
12-26-2002, 08:21 AM
check the how to too ! it's in the how to 's !

Lester Lugnut
12-26-2002, 07:58 PM
It could be oil in the water or simply someone added a bottle of anti-leak solution. There are a number of brands available that you add to the coolant to stop small coolant leaks. Bars Leak is one and it makes coolant REALLY dark.

These solutions often times turn the coolant a blackish color.

To test for possible head gasket leak, try this on a cold engine.

Put car on level ground. Pop hood, remove radiator pressure cap. Top off coolant, but not quite all of the way to the top, but close enough for you to observe it with the cap off. Start car. Look down inside the radiator with cap off. After engine begins to warm up, look for bubbles. This can indicate a leaking/blown head gasket.

Also, if your head gasket is leaking, there a chance you've been losing coolant and that your car is running hotter. Remember, cooling systems are pressurized and when a head gasket leaks, you lose pressure and higher operating temps come as a result of this.

If the car isn't running hot and you're not losing coolant, your head gasket might be ok, but I'd try the test just described anyway.

ACCORD EX
12-28-2002, 12:37 AM
i would do a compression test !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
12-28-2002, 12:53 AM
The how to on this is awesome