PDA

View Full Version : Choke pull off did wonders

ryan427
01-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Asking this question because I'm inexperienced and don't completely understand how all of the vacuum stuff works yet... I replaced the choke pull off two days ago. I was getting rough cold starts (engine was chugging, smoke from the tail pipe)... It would crank right up then run like crap for the next 3 minutes and then would finally smooth out. Anyway, replacing the choke pull off fixed all of that. Excellent cold starts and faster warm ups.

The other result is that the overall performance has improved remarkably. All of the power seems to be back, smoother idle, and much smoother shifts. It's like a different car. Am I to understand that a defective choke pull off creates a vacuum leak that affects the way the engine runs even after warming up? Sorry if this seems elementary. Looked around on the web and couldnt really find answers. :sad2:

Dr_Snooz
01-19-2015, 07:49 PM
I don't know how the choke pull-off works, but if the choke was not fully disengaging, it would cause a lot of problems.

ryan427
01-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Agreed. I'll keep researching. Definitely not complaining... Loving the way it drives now. Now I just gotta fix the radiator fans, oil leaks, rebuild the carburetor, replace the alternator... All with no money. Hm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2015, 07:41 PM
All with no money. Hm.

It's a common problem. Just keep at it, you'll get there some day.

ryan427
01-21-2015, 12:14 PM
It's a common problem. Just keep at it, you'll get there some day.

Add leaky power steering pump. @&?%#

aSoftVtec
01-24-2015, 06:26 AM
Im new to carbs, where would the choke pull off be on my 87 accord? Im having the same problems

ryan427
01-24-2015, 07:23 AM
It's on the passenger side of the carb. There are two vacuum lines running to it. It's a $60 part so not terribly cheap. But really important. Download the manual on this site and you'll see where it is. The screws for mine weren't budging so I took the 3 off the back and used the new back cover etc with the existing front. Sounds weird right now but it'll make sense once you see the part.

Good to check out and has pics:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/carburetor-tech/56666-89-accord-choke-not-working.html