PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

shepherd79
05-20-2002, 04:25 AM
does anyone know what are the symptoms when head gasket is blown?
I think my gasket is out, but i want to check it before i swipe it.
thanks a lot.

guaynabo89
05-20-2002, 07:44 AM
smoking from your exhaust pipe, loss of oil, oil in your antifreeze.

Don87LX
05-20-2002, 08:54 AM
run the engine for a few minutes, Then drain the oil. If your gasket is gone, it will look like a chocolate milk.

[techie bullshit]
If there is antifreeze present into the oil, the motion of the crank will whip the oil and antifreeze together into a frothy mixture and turn it from dark brown/black to baby shit brown.
[/techie bullshit]

Sabz5150
05-20-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Don87LX
it will look like a chocolate milk.

Yeah, but don't drink it :barf:

-5150 :bandit:

ACCORD EX
05-20-2002, 10:41 AM
notice oil near the valve cover ! :)

MIKE

shepherd79
05-20-2002, 11:36 AM
thanks, well i have the oil around the valve cover but it is my valve cover gasket, the last time i didn't clean verygood so it is leaking a very little oil. about the oil being brown i am not sure, it is black. but there is some sweet smell from exhaust in the morning but it stops after it warms up.
well, i am pulling cylinder head anyway. my valve guides are shot. engine smokes when it is cold but it stops when it is hot.
i changed the valve seals and it didn't help, so i talk to mechanic on www.allexperts.com and he told me that our engines have this problem all the time. so i am thinking putting head from 88-89 EFI accord. it had higher compresion. i know i have to use the same exhaust header.
but thanks a lot.
you guys rock.:super: :bow:

Lester Lugnut
05-20-2002, 07:50 PM
3G head gaskets can start out leaking; then eventually blow all together. Serious overheating, such as when the radiator goes dry will overheat the engine enough to blow the head gasket.

In the early and even advanced stages of leaking you'll see coolant loss as already mentioned. Also look for temp. gauge to climb. I lost one on an '84 Civic a few years ago. The car would not idle until it was good and hot. When a head gasket is leaking, you are in many cases, losing compression. After I got out on the higway, the temp. gauge would look normal for awhile, then all of a sudden it would climb noticably, not all the way into red, but much higher than normal.

Eventually I ended up with the milk-shake-colored oil. Once that happens, it's all over. Not only do you have a blown head gasket, but now you have water in your lower end journal bearings, etc.

89 Lxi racer
05-22-2002, 11:41 AM
I think I have the same problem guys :(
smoke rises from the(what looks like from the header area)
after I run the car for about 3 to 4 minutes
..I think I also need a new clutch

89 Lxi racer
05-22-2002, 11:42 AM
You think maybe exhaust gasket?
how much would it be to replace the head gasket?

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
05-22-2002, 02:17 PM
Hi:

The replacement of a headgasket is not cheap. This will probably cost you close to $1000 if you have it done professionally.

Properly done, you will have to resurface the head and replace the valve stem seals and camshaft seals. If you install a new headgasket without checking for warpage or replacing some of the worn seals that are physically inside the head, you will be shooting yourself in the foot.

Not only will it leak again if your head is warped but you'll pay more money in replacing leaking seals when they occur. It's not the funnest of jobs. If you're going to do it at home and have the tools, you will probably need a few days.

Claude

89 Lxi racer
05-23-2002, 03:26 PM
1000!!!???!!!
dam!
motor swap time!!!!!

Don87LX
05-24-2002, 04:25 AM
its not 1000 if you go to a decent mechanic. My old 3.0 V6 blew both HG's and that was only 600 to fix. I doubt the honda could be more than 500.