PDA

View Full Version : Wtf!?!

Reptile
12-26-2002, 08:00 AM
Ok so let me get this right, the 3Geez over in Japan didn't have the A20 enigine they had the B20? If this is true then I will have no qualmes about swaping the correct B20 into my LX-i when ever I get it. It was the B20A5 right. I want to makesure it's the one that JDM sells. Heres the link=
http://www.jdmhondaparts.com/frameset.htm
I'm thinking the B20 without the picture and that is selling for $750 is the one that is suposidly from our cars over in Japan. If that is so then I will be buying one of them. Also I was wondering, if I were to swap one of those 160hp engines with Pacesetter headers and a Cold Air Intake into my Accord would my car still pass emisions? If it doesn't how would I get it too? Thank You in advance for all of your guys help.

1989 DX R
12-26-2002, 09:07 AM
No, that is the B20 B/Z that was in the CRV. It is NOT the engine we want unless you want to do PRI mounts.

RobT5580
12-26-2002, 09:12 AM
Its not that simple. First you should go an read all the posts related to the B20A. The B20A is what you want no # at the end except a few european models have the # but i dont remember what it was. The B20A is hard to find in the 88/89 style and with a 5spd. I have been searching all over and i can find plenty of 86/87 B20As and its probably not gonna be a swap done in one weekend but i will say its becoming much much easier to get parts for them which was a major problem before. I would think emmisions wont be an issue as long as you retain all the sensors because my JDM A20A passed with no problem.

Reptile
12-26-2002, 01:11 PM
No I want a 89 style with an auto, I can't drive a manual tranny. Where would I get the engine I want then. As long as it was originally offered by the factory to be put in our cars, either here in the US or in Japan, I don't care. I'll do a search after this post for a B20A too. Also JDM also makes a A20A engine? I'll also have to look for one of those as well. If one of those engines will give me 160hp I'll be out of the box I'll be happy. I'll then add a few parts (Pacesetter headers and a CAI)and I'll be really happy.

Reptile
12-26-2002, 01:25 PM
Ok so JDMs B20 jdm/us engine for $750 on that link isn't what I want? I just want what ever our cars had over in Japan the produced 160hp. Can someone give me a link to the engine I want? I would like one to a B20A and a A20A to compare them. I've looked everyplace I can think of on the JDM site but I can't find the info. Thanks. Also how much power do the B20A and A20A engines have?

bobafett
12-26-2002, 01:31 PM
question for those of you who have done b20a research... would it be difficult to find a 5speed 86-87 engine? and if i CAN find one, how much $$$$ am i looking to spend to complete the swap? assuming i had the engine would other parts be less than $500 as a guess?

carotman
12-26-2002, 02:40 PM
It doesn't matter if you get the 88-89 or 86-87 engine. They are the same except for the intake manifold. If you checked the B20A FAQ thread, you know that the A20A and B20A share the same intake manifold. This means that if you don't get the correct year, you can use your A20 parts on the B20.

The major problem is finding the 5 speed transmission. autos are rather easy to find. (I have one for sale if someone is interested(

RobT5580
12-26-2002, 03:26 PM
I did know that carotman but i was hoping to get the newer style just so i have everything extra (sensors mainly). And in hope that it may be in better shape as well. But now i dont really care cause im gonna do a full re-build in the process. As for you others it is not that hard to find the info as it is all posted in this forum. I read through it all 3 times or so. I was gonna do the swap a while back but the deal fell through with Mike Lees motor which was perfect cause i wanted to go turbo but not at the moment. So if you read up all the answers are right here.

carotman
12-26-2002, 03:34 PM
well, my reply was mostly directed to bobafett that was looking for the correct year. :)

We're really getting alot more info on the B20 don't we :)

bobafett
12-26-2002, 03:48 PM
yeah i would never consider an auto... ever... :) but 5speeds cant be THAT hard to find are they?

carotman
12-26-2002, 04:13 PM
I managed to find one

http://pages.infinit.net/omus/debut.jpg

I started to clean it this morning (it's very dirty in the picture)

That's the only one I could find in my area.... they are available but just harder to find.

bobafett
12-26-2002, 04:29 PM
i would assume then that we cant just use lude or teg trannies, or else this would be a lot smaller delima, am i right?

RobT5580
12-26-2002, 04:43 PM
Well for starters they are hydrolic so that presents a problem already. They are definatly harder to find than automatics. Most come mated to automatics and u would have to find someone with a 5spd. A lot of people find them by accident as most junkyards etc dont know what the motor is for never mind the trannys. I hope to buy my motor soon after the new year so i can start work on it. I have a lot to do to be ready for spring time.

anchovies
12-26-2002, 10:21 PM
wow carotman..did you brought the tranny back on your bicycle...yeeehawww :D

b20a86lude
02-06-2003, 05:50 AM
so carotman if i gave you money would you get me a tranny to oh and manual b20 tranny is labeled b2k5 right

mykwikcoupe
02-06-2003, 06:49 PM
rob, does mike still have that motor for sale? I am looking for a second motor as well. The wifes car HAS to have an auto only I have the 5 speed. I need to find the auto someplace in good shape. I was hoping to get a second B20A for my car (when I find the right one:D ). I have been thinking about it and this is what Ive concluded. I am looking for opinions here so please post.

The B20A I have now hasnt been rebuilt but has low miles on it. I was thinking of having a dual carb manifold made for it with 45mm webbers. Her car is an LX still.

Then, Ill find the LXI or SEI of my choice and put a second rebuilt B20A with the turbo and 5speed I have now. She wont race hers or use it to the full ability and she wont let me do it in her car. I think that if I buy one and build it my way, shell have to let me right. Being married really sucks some times:sadwave: