PDA

View Full Version : check it out! clear side marker

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 11:43 AM
well i did away with the gay orange. this shit took at least 6 1/2 hours to do but i think its worth it. give me your opinion. also has anyone done this exact thing before (this is not clear plexi glass).

http://www.3geez.kicks-ass.net/3g/sideblink.jpg

http://www.3geez.kicks-ass.net/3g/sideblink1.jpg

http://www.3geez.kicks-ass.net/3g/sideblink2.jpg

BensAccordLxi
12-26-2002, 11:44 AM
Where's the pic at?

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 11:45 AM
there i for got to post them

BensAccordLxi
12-26-2002, 11:47 AM
Nice. how did you do it? Are you going to be able to get my post started. I sent you the pics.

89AccordLvr
12-26-2002, 11:47 AM
HOW DID YOU DO IT we need to know this

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by BensAccordLxi
Nice. how did you do it? Are you going to be able to get my post started. I sent you the pics.

yeah i will get it going and i have my own webserver now so prob by next week ill give you a loginand password so you can post your own pics once i get my ftp server running. give me a few to post yours k

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 11:54 AM
ok supplies needed.

rotary tool kit-you absolutly need one. - $59.99 usd
officelight paneling- $3 usd
and a whole lot of patience and coordination.

you must take the light off then drill the orange out. thatwas hard
then take a piece of office light panel cut it to a rectangle about the size of the orange part. then CAREFULLY mold the panel in. but this is all free hand work there were no mesurements involved. i cant really explain that process you have to use some carpenty skills.

prepare for at least 7 hours of work

bobafett
12-26-2002, 12:05 PM
damn those look pretty good. you should crank out a how too, i know a lot of members would appreciate it, myself included!

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 12:09 PM
thanks. i wrote one above your post but ill go into more detail when i right it. i'll try to do it soon.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-26-2002, 01:05 PM
Nice job, I was thinking about doing the same but with plexi-glass. You said you drill it out, why didn't you use a cutting wheel? (I have a dremel too) What I planned on doing was to cut the orange out and then use the sander and make a little lip on the grayish plastic so the plexi-glass could just sit on it so to speak. And then put silicon on the lip and just put it back together. I plan to get another set of corners at the junkyard so my car won't be out of business. And again nice job.

markmdz89hatch
12-26-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
What I planned on doing was to cut the orange out and then use the sander and make a little lip on the grayish plastic so the plexi-glass could just sit on it so to speak. And then put silicon on the lip and just put it back together.

It already has a little lip as long as you're carefull when you get the orange out.

....I did mine about a year ago. I actually used both ceiling/lighting tile, and plexi. This way I have the strength of the plexi and the "look" of a real style lens. Like socal said, it's truly a pain in the ass, but it's well worth it.

Socal--> Did you chrome out the housing before you reassembled everything? I did that on the second set I made, and it made it look 100% better and brighter.

Here's an older pic of mine...

Mike's89AccordLX
12-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info Mark.

markmdz89hatch
12-26-2002, 01:28 PM
n/p mike. Now that I'm actually thinking about it, I actually took the lip down a few mm's due to it's cliff. You don't need all the lip. I thought it would impead too much on the "clear" area, so I cut it down a bit, and am real happy I did. The only other thing that I would suggest on this type of mod is to put the teeth of the tiling in, and leave the smooth side out. When you do that however, you'll have to be REAL carefull and shave down the teeth only on the outermost edges where it will have to adhere to the grey lip so that you get a good smooth surface.

I'm going to try and put together a step by step how to with pics as soon as I get off my lazy ass and make another set. I already have all the materials including another full set of corners just waiting to get all hacked up.

Good luck with all ur projects, I know socal's around, as am I if you have any Q's.

maka_RTH
12-26-2002, 05:05 PM
that looks tight i should do some when i do my tails.

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 05:43 PM
Nice job, I was thinking about doing the same but with plexi-glass. You said you drill it out, why didn't you use a cutting wheel? (I have a dremel too) What I planned on doing was to cut the orange out and then use the sander and make a little lip on the grayish plastic so the plexi-glass could just sit on it so to speak. And then put silicon on the lip and just put it back together. I plan to get another set of corners at the junkyard so my car won't be out of business. And again nice job.

thanks. thats what i did i just said it wrong. most of the orange was sanded out using a drun sanding bit on the rotary tool

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
n/p mike. Now that I'm actually thinking about it, I actually took the lip down a few mm's due to it's cliff. You don't need all the lip. I thought it would impead too much on the "clear" area, so I cut it down a bit, and am real happy I did. The only other thing that I would suggest on this type of mod is to put the teeth of the tiling in, and leave the smooth side out. When you do that however, you'll have to be REAL carefull and shave down the teeth only on the outermost edges where it will have to adhere to the grey lip so that you get a good smooth surface.

I'm going to try and put together a step by step how to with pics as soon as I get off my lazy ass and make another set. I already have all the materials including another full set of corners just waiting to get all hacked up.

Good luck with all ur projects, I know socal's around, as am I if you have any Q's.

great minds think alike huh. thats exactly what i did i took the teeth on the edges and sanded those so it would be flat. and i left the teeth inthe housing not on the outside. if you write a how-to show it to me first so i can look at it and see if you left anything out. man a how-to on this is just about the same pain in the ass as creating the lenses. :lol

89AccordLvr
12-26-2002, 05:48 PM
whats so special about plexi glass?

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLvr
whats so special about plexi glass?

nothin IMO if you just put plexi-glass there i think it looks gay. you have to use sometype of patterned sheeting. i actually bought the plexi glass also to put overtop but i thought i would have to bend it.and i dont want to do that.

89AccordLvr
12-26-2002, 06:11 PM
whats so special bout plexi glass and how do it self look like

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 06:13 PM
i dont know what your tryin to say.

all i got to say is what so special about

Racing Xtreme carbon fiber pedals

Nospeed
12-26-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by socal3rdgen
thanks. thats what i did i just said it wrong. most of the orange was sanded out using a drun sanding bit on the rotary tool

ok...so you just sanded the shit out of the yellow part??? or did you cut out most of the yellow part, and sand down the rest so you would have a lip to set the lighting plastic on???

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Nospeed
ok...so you just sanded the shit out of the yellow part??? or did you cut out most of the yellow part, and sand down the rest so you would have a lip to set the lighting plastic on???

yeah i only cut out about a half inch square then just went to town sanding the shit out of the lenses that the only way to be precise.

Nospeed
12-26-2002, 06:24 PM
gotcha...i kinda thought that you didnt cut all of it off, cause then you wouldnt have that lip there!! good thinkin!! looks really good socal! ill have to do that one of these days...

now...for attaching the lighting piece, did you just use some clear caulking? or did you go for super glue, or what? i was thinking the fishtank rated caulking (waterproof, hella strong). what did you use?

89AccordLvr
12-26-2002, 06:49 PM
can someone show me a pic of wat plexiglass looks like

Nospeed
12-26-2002, 07:19 PM
all plexiglass is, is a clear piece of plastic. it is sometimes made into windows, or other things...it is semi flexible, but it is also hard to break. the only instances of plexiglass i could come up with were:~~ hope this helps.

http://skylab.org/~chugga/mpegbox/pictures/carmp3010.JPG

im sure you've seen these before, they are plexiglass....

http://www.footprintpress.com/_derived/stand.htm_txt_Single_Tier1.gif

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLvr
can someone show me a pic of wat plexiglass looks like

sorry dude i thought you were tryin to be a dick.

HondaBoy
12-26-2002, 09:07 PM
nice job. only thing is, if your cops are like the ones we have here, they are meticulous about the lenses. u will want to get a reflector. or not. i was wanting to get the semi-clear corners from a euro accord. they are realy more or less smoked lenses that im talkin about. looks nice how u didnt use plain clear plexiglass. im gonna be doin some new clear tails for my car cuz the ones i have now got me into trouble wit the po po. im just gonna do the orange part clear.

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by HondaBoy
nice job. only thing is, if your cops are like the ones we have here, they are meticulous about the lenses. u will want to get a reflector. or not. i was wanting to get the semi-clear corners from a euro accord. they are realy more or less smoked lenses that im talkin about. looks nice how u didnt use plain clear plexiglass. im gonna be doin some new clear tails for my car cuz the ones i have now got me into trouble wit the po po. im just gonna do the orange part clear.

yeah i think it looks better with just doing the orange part. i really dont give a fuck about the po po's everyone around here has clear sidemarkers so it reallly dont matter. and if they want to give me a ticket ill just buy a set for 16 and put those in to show the police station that i fixed it and turn right around and put the clears back in. :lol

Mike's89AccordLX
12-26-2002, 09:27 PM
I'm going to find some reflective paint and spray it into the side marker and then put plexi-glass. There's nothing so special about plexi-glass ( I just have a bunch left over from making my bumper signals ) Anyone know who sells reflective paint or chrome paint like any big store like Wal-Mart or something like that.

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 09:53 PM
I'm going to find some reflective paint and spray it into the side marker and then put plexi-glass. There's nothing so special about plexi-glass ( I just have a bunch left over from making my bumper signals ) Anyone know who sells reflective paint or chrome paint like any big store like Wal-Mart or something like that.

your going to lose a lot of light if the paint is not transparent.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-26-2002, 09:57 PM
I'm not going to spray it on the plexi-glass. I'm going to spray it in the insides of the side marker. And then put the bulbs back in and put then silicone the plexi-glass on.

Rich87HB
12-26-2002, 10:05 PM
I have also doen the same thing, it was about a year ago that i actually made them. Check out my pics in the pics section (Rich87hb). Yea, they are tedious to make but not to bad. Good job on the ones you did! P.S. Every should invest in a dremel tool!!

Mike's89AccordLX
12-26-2002, 10:14 PM
I have used my dremel for lots of stuff. It's just a great tool to have in a shop. A good gift idea too.

socal3rdgen
12-26-2002, 10:33 PM
yeah i got mine for christmas. thisis the first time i have ever iused a dremel tool. ithink i did a good job for a newbie at using a dremel.

sorry about that mike i get it know.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-26-2002, 11:29 PM
Oh it's all cool dude. If you don't understand the best thing to do is to ask. I found that out the hard way a lot. I don't recommend it. :)

socal3rdgen
12-27-2002, 11:04 AM
Oh it's all cool dude. If you don't understand the best thing to do is to ask. I found that out the hard way a lot. I don't recommend it. :)

true true.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-27-2002, 11:10 AM
I'm going to attempt to make a partial box for my cone filter. I'm getting a hood scoop like that one that is on the "one scoop or two" thread. I found out where he got that and it's only $17.95 for it. Well i'm making the box out of plexi-glass. (have a bunch of the stuff) I might use my soldering iron to melt the edges together or I might find some L brackets and put tiny screws in it. How do think that would look? Think I should try it with or without the brackets?

socal3rdgen
12-27-2002, 11:27 AM
i would say it would look better it you could melt the plastic together at the seams them dremal the bubbly edges off to make it look like it came like that. good luck

markmdz89hatch
12-27-2002, 11:32 AM
any way you can just heat the snot out of it and bend it around a wood corner to get the shape? Never really "worked" with plexi before, just the plain 'ol shit, no bending/molding etc, just cutting.

socal3rdgen
12-27-2002, 11:39 AM
i would say get a heat gun and heat up a sheet of plastic in the middle then take it and press it against a corner of a table to make a perfect crease bend in the material. this would make a 90 degree bend.

socal3rdgen
12-27-2002, 11:39 AM
dont cut it thouhg have you ever cut to pieces of plexi and tried to join them you will get a very noticable line.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-27-2002, 12:42 PM
Maybe after I do it and there's ugly lines I could possibly paint the edges. Would that look dumb? I don't really want to heat it up and then bend it that much. Plus I only have like 6 12"x12" pieces and those aren't big enough to bend it and such.

socal3rdgen
12-27-2002, 01:51 PM
tell ya what im going to try to make a bend in some plexi i have laying around. ill let you know what i find out.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Sounds good. I guess if it goes easy I'll buy some more plexi-glass.

markmdz89hatch
12-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by socal3rdgen
tell ya what im going to try to make a bend in some plexi i have laying around. ill let you know what i find out.

Kool, thanks socal, keep us informed! This could mean more possibilities for my with plexi.

Hey Mike, if you're going for that "clean" look, what about getting strips of angled metal braces and frame the whole base of it, then just use tiny bolts, drill very small holes through the brace and plexi, and throw the tiny bolt through it to hold it all together. That way you have rediculous strength of the box and a nice look too.

88' Accord Ltd
12-28-2002, 07:22 AM
I have some pics of when i did my clears for you guys if you need em for your how-to. Just lemme know.

roni-sei
12-28-2002, 04:09 PM
i also made a set of clear side markers as well as tail lioghts i will post all pics once i find a host

markmdz89hatch
12-28-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by roni-sei
i also made a set of clear side markers as well as tail lioghts i will post all pics once i find a host

Roni, I just opened a cardomain account, send 'em to me [email protected] and I'll post 'em up for ya.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-28-2002, 04:57 PM
Holy crap this will be the first how to on clear sidemarkers and tails. Thanks a lot dude. You are a "landmark" in 3G history for me now.