PDA

View Full Version : Potential new buyer.. Need some opinions

Legato_Bluesummers
01-29-2015, 12:03 AM
Hey guys, so after researching 200sxs, ae86s, and others I thought the 3rd gen hatches really caught my eye.

However, I'm really annoyed by the options these cars have. Specifically I'm refering to 5spd manual and black interiors..

I found a really good deal and am talking to the guy..

1987 Honda Accord LXI Low Miles OBO (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/4865905216.html)

However I want to know how hard it will be to find black interior parts. I have tried spray painting interior parts before and it was not worth it. It never turns out well enough and it is ruined by normal wear and tear.

Also, I want to swap for a 5spd. I don't assume this would be hard but I'm open to opinions.

THanks, and could someone just show me what the black interior looks like? Godamn 80s refused to make any japanese cars black on the inside.

ryan427
01-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Plenty of resources on this forum to help address your concerns. Dr_Snooz and several other members have done the AT to MT swap. Perform a search and you'll find it. I looked at the link for the car... looks like a pretty nice, low mileage car. You might offer a little less since it needs some maintenance. I have used colorbond products in the past to recoat interior parts. If done correctly, it will take a good bit of time but you'll be happy with the outcome. Duplicolor also makes good products. Highly recommend the prep spray and adhesion promoter. Again, doing it right will yield good results with color and sheen (won't look like it has been painted). Cover those seats in leather and you'll have a sweet interior. Scoop that thing up!

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2015, 08:05 PM
The hatches are very popular with collectors around here. White hatches are especially popular for some reason.

The Accord DX trim package (with crank windows and black bumpers) offered a black interior. Usually a fire engine red exterior too. At least a lot of coupes came that way. I'm not so sure about the hatches. Worst case, you could swap all the passenger area panels from a coupe and paint the cargo panels to match.

The trans swap is well documented here (http://www.3geez.com/forum/how/102-convert-automatic-manual-transmission.html) and has been done by quite a few members over the years. It's fairly easy and straightforward given that you are dropping a transmission, replacing pedal boxes, shift linkages and modifying the wiring. My biggest problem was finding a MT that wasn't grievously wounded inside and I ended up buying a rebuilt unit from mantrans.com. I recommend them.

If you buy the car, be sure to document your project here for us.