PDA

View Full Version : My hatch might be committing suicide

markmdz89hatch
12-26-2002, 12:42 PM
Yep, just like the title says, the hatch might be committing suicide.... .....doors that is. I was just browsing around, and b/c I can't gullwing the doors, I'm seriously considering a suicide door mod. I've already found a few companies that sell suicide brackets, and have one looking into whether or not their brackets will work on the 3G.

What's ur guys thoughts on this.

PS... I also just took a field trip to Borders Bookstore, and picked up two books, 1st: A Complete Guide to Custom Auto Upholstery and 2nd: Chop Tops learn all the how to's on top chopping. I think I've lost it!:eek: :D :smokin:

bobafett
12-26-2002, 12:45 PM
lol, i think suicide doors would look really cool on a hatch... i have thought about it before... i dont think its very expensive for the parts, but of course to make it look "perfect" of course you will pay a lot .... :)

let us know if you are serious, because i would like to know the feasability of the project once you learn enough...:)

BensAccordLxi
12-26-2002, 12:56 PM
I want to get gul wing doors.

markmdz89hatch
12-26-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by BensAccordLxi
I want to get gul wing doors.

GOOD LUCK on that one! HA.. I've been looking around for that and lambo-door style kits for a long time now, and those that I did find are an un-godly amount of $$. Lemm'e know if you find 'em.

bobafett
12-26-2002, 01:14 PM
there was an issue in sport compact car i will show when i get home... it has a gull type kit for a newer accord, i think the cost was not too bad... let me see if i can dig it up once i get off work. :P

BensAccordLxi
12-26-2002, 01:22 PM
Sweet. That would be great

Tim Yoak
12-26-2002, 03:16 PM
:cool: good thought,but the top half of the door frame isn't strong enough for gull wings. If you want information on the suicide doors check some the hot rod magazines. You do need to install bear claw latches to keep the doors from opening in a wreck.

bobafett
12-26-2002, 03:23 PM
now i dont know anything about bear claw latches, but would it be possible to shave the door handles, and install poppers with a suicide door?

Tim Yoak
12-26-2002, 05:15 PM
:cool: it wouldn't matter what way your doors open, they would still work. bear claw latches are special latches that install on suicide doors to prevent them from opening in an accident. If you install those kind of doors you have to change the hinge mech and the latch mech. It's quite a job. I would seek prof. help. also the place on the pillar. where the hinges attach is reinforced. the oposite side is not reinforced. you would have to have the opposite side of the door frame cut out,reinforced,bolts welded on for the door hinges,and welded back in. this is not a do it yourself project. I know proff. rodders who cringe at the thought of doing these. the mickey mouse kits that BOLT ON, are full of s.... on a unibody car, when the door is closed and latched, it forms a major part of the body. If this is not done right it will severly weaken the body and comprimise your safety in an accident.

Chubs87Accord
12-28-2002, 08:21 AM
theres a mercedes gullwing sittin in the garage like 50 ft from me :D

Tim Yoak
12-28-2002, 08:37 AM
well if you can afford one of those you can have a body shop do the door conversion

87Hybrid
12-28-2002, 09:06 AM
Check out this link suicide doors (http://www.suicidedoors.com/) It is the source of all information

markmdz89hatch
12-28-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 87Hybrid
Check out this link suicide doors (http://www.suicidedoors.com/) It is the source of all information

That's the site I was gonna buy the kit off. I already talked to Jason (the owner) about whether or not this will work on the 3G.

87Hybrid
12-28-2002, 02:07 PM
And what did he say?

markmdz89hatch
12-28-2002, 02:19 PM
I just pasted this directly from his e-mail reply to me:

if the rear jam is almost straight up and down in a 9-12" area you
are fine. the new hinge pockets that weld into the body of the car
are 3" wide and 2" tall, so the jam needs to be at least 3.25-3.5"
wide for the new hinge pocket to fit properly. every suicide is a
little different and sometimes more sheetmetal mods in the door and
on the jam are required.

Thanks!
Jason Thorbecke

Coroncho80
12-28-2002, 07:57 PM
Shit............ I gotta see that one. Suicide doors on a 3g............ :rice: :D

Chubs87Accord
12-29-2002, 06:14 AM
its not mine though :( wish it was.. pretty nice..

horndoggj06
01-01-2003, 05:26 PM
i hate suicide doors, in my opinion most lowriders have them and i hate lowriders, no offense to anyone thats just my opinin

Elijah
01-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Ya you could say that but look what your driving.Sorry but i was thinking about sicide doors.Ilike them

Tim Yoak
01-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Elijah
Ya you could say that but look what your driving.Sorry but i was thinking about sicide doors.Ilike them hey I like what I'm driving

tyne89
01-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Tim Yoak
hey I like what I'm driving

he was talking about horndoggj06 not you