PDA

View Full Version : 87 hatchbac need help with carburetor idling to high

87hbdxftw!!!
01-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Ok I have a 87 hatchback dx stick shift, I bought it off an elderly woman she had told me her friend adjusted the carb to idle higher then its supposed to, so when I turned the car on I see the needle idling all the way at 2rpm how do I adjust it back to idle normal never dealt with a carb first time ownIng one and working on one. Please help I don't like the idle

Dr_Snooz
02-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Should be a big, black plastic knob sticking out of the back of the carb. That adjusts idle.

As with any jury rig repair, however, there could be more going on than just that.

A20A1
03-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Make the throttle cable slack, or disconnect it altogether, that will eliminate any influence from the cable. Then search for the black knob as suggested By dr_snooz. Also look at the threads at the top of the forum, one of them has a more detailed process of adjusting for high idle.

Edit: freaky how things come back to you.... Also check to see if you have an idle diaphragm, but I'm pretty sure those were for automatic accords, or they have it but the vacuum connection to the diaphragm was different between the two transmission types.

My brain could use some carb cleaner about now, getting kinds rusty.

2ndTimeHondaOwner
03-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Ok I have a 87 hatchback dx stick shift, I bought it off an elderly woman she had told me her friend adjusted the carb to idle higher then its supposed to, so when I turned the car on I see the needle idling all the way at 2rpm how do I adjust it back to idle normal never dealt with a carb first time ownIng one and working on one. Please help I don't like the idle 2 rpm sounds kinda low to me, bet ya meant 2k rpm. Sorry I just had to :stick: