PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle and trouble starting

AwsomeG2
02-04-2015, 06:08 PM
I realize these issues have been discussed in other threads but im looking at many possible causes and I was hoping I could get some help narrowing it down to my specific situation
My car is an 87 lxi fuel injected accord
for several months it has had a rough idle when in gear and on a cold start and ive just been assuming its something small like a vacuum leak but its been getting worse in the past few weeks
The idle is rough in gear but mostly fine when in park or neutral and more recently ive been having delayed acceleration from a stop and now im having trouble starting the car, it will start and immediately die.
I have a pgmfi code 12 for the EGR
The idle will drop below 1000 and hover a bit and it idles smooth at 1000
I've cleaned and tested the EGR valve and replaced the vacuum lines connected to it and the valve is working but the light is still on
ive sprayed down the engine with carb cleaner and cant find a vacuum leak so im not really sure what to do
Im thinking the starting problem is because the mix of air to gas and possibly something in the EGR system is broken and thats whats causing all these problems

Thank you for your time I cant really afford to take it in and get worked on its my only car and money is tight but im up for trying any suggestions you have

Edit: No longer have the pgmfi code, EGR is fixed but same idle issues

Dr_Snooz
02-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Download the manual from here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0u3rucoi89k2bo/1989%20Accord%20Service%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

Troubleshooting guide for a code 12 EGR begins on p. 12-79. Let us know how it works out.

AwsomeG2
02-26-2015, 08:33 PM
ive fixed the EGR code and no longer have the pgmfi light on but im still having the idle issue with no change.
Any ideas anyone? Thanks

Jafir
03-02-2015, 07:35 PM
1000 rpm is pretty high for idle. Have you confirmed that base idle speed is set correctly with the idle control solenoid valve disconnected? I've seen the idle screw become so loose over time that it nearly falls out. After adjusting the base idle a trick to keep it from changing is to put a dab of hondabond (or whatever rtv you use I guess) on the screw.

ryan427
03-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Starting with something simple might be your best bet... Clean the throttle body thoroughly and go from there. 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr_Snooz
03-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Rough idle can be caused by any number of things,

- Sticky EGR valve
- Bad motor mounts
- Car needs a tune up (plugs, wires, cap and rotor)
- Vacuum leak
- Cheap gas

Demon1024
03-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Tw sensor Is my bet. Either that or your main relay is getting buggy <--- free to fix if you've got soldering iron. Tw sensor is on the thermostat housing next to the fan relay thingy (tec I know) Should be a test for specific resistance for it a different temps
Did you clear the code after you fixed it? Remove battery power for a few minutes to do so and see if it returns with cel