PDA

View Full Version : Fast Car or Bling Bling?

AccordEpicenter
12-26-2002, 10:52 PM
What do you think guys, is it cooler to have a fast car or one with more bling? Basically making the car fast or making it look cool with big rims and loud stereo and neons body kits etc etc (no big spoiler)

Mike's89AccordLX
12-26-2002, 10:57 PM
I think it should be somewhat fast before you make it look fast. All show and no go is dumb. Unless you make it into a show car. I think it should be like get some performance mods here and get some apperance mods there. Maybe like a 60:40 ratio of performace to apperance

Chrome_thangs
12-26-2002, 11:02 PM
When i first got my 3g i was heavily into appearance like 90/10 (Didn't know about hondas!) But now that i've discovered this vast resorce of ideas and help i've slowly turned towards the performance aspect. I think i'm about 60/40 with it now.

AccordEpicenter
12-26-2002, 11:43 PM
Im really into improving the cars handling, i think with bigger tires and strut bars, coilovers and good shocks itll stick really good. I dont feel like doing an exaust, but ill prolly do an intake and other stuff... What do you reccomend? Im thinking about a cam...

Elijah
12-27-2002, 02:10 AM
its all about beating v8s.and yes i agree handling is a big issue.but you still need a little bling bling just dont catch air

Mike89Accordcom
12-27-2002, 02:42 AM
Do yourself a favor and do both man. Look cool and be fast!!!

pric
12-27-2002, 06:33 AM
Do yourself a favor and do both man. Look cool and be fast!!!

I second that!

Bobs89LXi
12-27-2002, 07:26 AM
I believe it depends on the situation and what your plans are for the car. If you are into racing, it is better to back up the BS with substance. It is the "where's the beef" scenerio. However, if you are like Chris (Pearldrop) and are using your car for show, then going the "bling-bling" route, as long as it's done tastefully. That being said, I can not answer either way. There should be a third selction: IT DEPENDS ON THE APPLICATION.

pric
12-27-2002, 07:44 AM
Bob "where's the beef" ha ha your really showing your age. j/k That commercial is what 20 years ago?

RobT5580
12-27-2002, 08:37 AM
Im doing a good mix of both probably like 50/50. I was more into speed but after seeing someone die made me think what the hell do i need a turbo for on the streets i drive on. If i still lived in the city area instead of the country i probably would but i do probably about 90% back roads now as of all highway and city streets before.

Bobs89LXi
12-27-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by pric
Bob "where's the beef" ha ha your really showing your age. j/k That commercial is what 20 years ago?

I remember even older commercials. :eek:

markmdz89hatch
12-27-2002, 09:08 AM
i'm kinda with Rob on this one. My car is not a rocket ship, I realize that. I love the look of a perfect paint job, with a fresh coat of wax. that "eat off the engine" type of clean. But I'm also into performance. However, I'm not ready to gut and tub the car, and throw it on the track, so there's no need for 512 hp at the wheels if you know what I mean. I don't street race, I just drive fast. I like to have enough power to break off the line at a light and make someone go :huh: , but I don't need so much that I can light my tires all the way through 3rd gear. If I want to pass someone on the highway, I want to have the confidence that I can, that's all. I would also like to be able to take that same car to a show and be in the top 10 for best of show. I dunno. But, I'm also HUGE into auto-x, so I'm hungry for suspension knowledge. I love the fact that I consentrated mostly on handling as the 1st performance mods. Think about it, you can have 200 hp at the wheels, but unless you can handle, what the hell good is all that power. I can "outrun" MANY cars on the street through twisties even if they have 2x the power i do, and why? Simple, b/c I can take a 90 degree turn at a rediculous speed, and still accelerate out of the turn.

Moral of the story, my 3G is not intended for "all show, no go" nor "all go, no show" it's more like "show 'n go"

Ok, I've typed too damn much again. Sorry guys.:sadwave:

jigga225
12-27-2002, 12:01 PM
like mike said you gotta have both.. save more bread. Then you get to be show AND Go

Mike89Accordcom
12-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Yep Jigga. Be all show and go!!!

BLck89accord
12-27-2002, 12:30 PM
well said mark. I totally agree.

dXsquared
12-27-2002, 12:38 PM
well i think that performance outweighs looks... like i first did all performance mods then i am getting a paint job... i have 17's and its lowered... the out side of the car will look half decent... but the inside is like a mix of race car / stereo oriented. the entire inside is getting gutted this summer and i am gonna have two front seats and a BOXLINER floor... i dont care for a nice interior, just a fuctional one... all panels do, is make the car feel adn look nicer...i dont need that... i also dont need the rattle and buzz of the plastic when im bumpin tunes. i am also gonna be welding a huge cross bar across the struts for morerigity and a place to mount 6X9's in boxes. I also wanna mount the 4 point harness on it.

Travis

BLck89accord
12-27-2002, 12:41 PM
Travis, be sure to post pics when u start that bro. Sounds like its gonna be tight.

pearldrop
12-27-2002, 01:23 PM
You can pretty much guess where I stand on this. I have been on both sides of the issue and in the long run I would prefer a car that looks good over one that is slightly faster. If I have the choice between an immaculate paint job or intake, header and exhaust, I will take the paint job anyday.
I have had a CRX and a Civic and did motor swaps along with all of the bolt ons in both of them. It took about six months before I was absolutely tired of dealing with the noise of the exhaust and the stereotypes that go with it.
I guess I go to extremes. I want to win. You can't daily drive a show car. You can't daily drive a race car (if you want it to be fast). I don't consider any car fast as long as there are easily obtainable cars out there that you can buy from the factory that are faster. As long as others can buy a Camaro for under $20k that will run in the 12's I would never waste my time trying to race a car that will get stomped by somebody's high school graduation present.
That is why I have non-daily driver show cars. Just like if I built a race car, it would be extreme too.
Mark does have it right though. For my daily driver I want it to look good and still have the performance to go with it. That is why I have the Cadillac, I guess. Even though I never race it, it is definitely nice to be able to pass or merge on the freeway without wondering if you have enough power.
I don't know where I was going with this so I will stop rambling.

BensAccordLxi
12-27-2002, 02:00 PM
It's all about power.

RCracer
12-27-2002, 03:20 PM
I with every one else on this. I wanted my accord to be able (have enough power) and to look good.
If your car is your everyday driver you cant go with too much "SHOW" or else it stands out and attracts too much (unwanted) attention.
Its all about what you want and where you want it.
My accord (with B20a) is well capable power wise and I dont plan to do anything more to the engine (well not yet anyway)

Nate2310
12-27-2002, 09:33 PM
do all the under the hood stuff and make your car a sleeper then do some looks and get exhaust last probably

bobafett
12-29-2002, 10:53 AM
i would say performance is more important, but i get a kick out of zooming around after a new mod... its way more gratifying, than having expensive wheels that would slow me down!

Y3G
12-29-2002, 05:59 PM
so far i'm show and no go
i need to do something about that

Johnny O
12-29-2002, 06:57 PM
go fast,but look some what good,no bondo and diffent colors on each panels.Who cares about rims and systems i am taking about running low # no 17's good bye.

87AccordsterLx
12-29-2002, 07:05 PM
when I get my supra Im going to first drop it about 3 inches then upgrade the turbo/intercooler/boost controller then go back and paint it. So it will start off with looks then performance then looks. I think you need a mix of both. The only difference is that the supra is fast as shit to begin with. So I could wait a little while before I make it even more faster... :D

MIK3
01-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I'm all for go. Some show is always good. I am still working on adding performance to my Accord. I'm looking for some nice Konig's or Enkei's....and then of course go from there (air filters, exaughst systems, intakes, ect)....I do think that we have an advantage a lil bit tho due to our light weight of our beasts.

Y3G
02-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Y3G
so far i'm show and no go
i need to do something about that

Ya i've started doing something about that. a motor swap is in the works(the car is striped bare under the hood)and my chromies are making a new home on my friend bob's civic hatch in favior of some ol'skool 16'' racing harts.I'VE CAUGHT THE JDM BUG HARD!!!

LX-i Girl
02-02-2003, 10:47 PM
i'd make your car go fast and have it be a sleeper. some average ricer guy won't expect to get his ass kicked by a stock looking 3g and will be very surprised when he does!

AccordEpicenter
02-03-2003, 09:27 PM
yeah i was just thinkin that the other day so I got a head im gonna have ported and im gonna port out the manifold and that magic word TURBO keeps coming into my head... we will see, after the 5-speed swap this spring.

Project-LXi
02-04-2003, 12:30 PM
I have chromies, an exhaust, and an intake. Plus a lot of other little custom tweaks. I am happy with how it performs, and with how it looks, even if some people think it is rice.