PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Performance Enhancements

mroinsno
02-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Hello everyone!
I had a weird dream last night about my 88 but it got me thinking I love my 88 but as I live in Lake Tahoe I have to deal with mountains a lot. Now as most of you know these stock 88 (automatics) are a little sluggish on hills unless we want to have it up around 4k which I don't. So I was doing a little digging on what I could do when summer hits and she isnt my daily driver anymore. I was noticing someone said do a b series vtec head swap. But I was wondering if that would help and how much it would cost? Also is there anything else I can do that could give it like a 20hp bump or more for relatively cheap as I am in college and am EXTREMELY um cash strapped?.....poor? BROKE!! Yeah that one works hahaha Any ideas guys? Please help.

cygnus x-1
02-10-2015, 10:09 AM
I don't know where you read about the B series VTEC head swap, because that won't work on an A series engine (which I'm assuming you have). Depending on what you mean by "relatively cheap" 20HP is a fairly large gain and probably not possible without spending more than you would like.

First off, have you done all the standard tuneup stuff yet? That would be the first place to start.

And honestly, 4000RPM is no big deal, even for the stock engine. It's a Honda, it can take it.

C|

mroinsno
02-10-2015, 01:18 PM
That is what I thought too. I would be super down if I could throw some vtec in hahaha but I didnt believe it was possible but I figured I'd check with the 3gee masters haha. I dont suppose I could mate the b20 manual tranny to my stock engine can I?

lostforawhile
02-10-2015, 07:28 PM
why try to use a B20 manual tranny? find a doner car and swap in a stock manual, it's all bolt in, and some very minor wiring

MessyHonda
02-10-2015, 10:18 PM
intake, headers, 4th gen map sensor mod and exhaust will give you 10-15hp

Tdurr
02-11-2015, 12:14 PM
iirc the 4th gen map doenst help anything. just a new map prob would help.

MessyHonda
02-16-2015, 11:44 AM
just do it. it made me 2whp and 4 foot pounds of torque to the wheels.

carotman
02-17-2015, 08:03 AM
You could swap to a manual transmission and use the 1st gen integra transmission gears. This alone will pep the car a bit.